Chance me: Computer Science/Engineering

I am an Asian male. In-state. SAT: 1320(1600 scale). GPA: 3.5 or 3.6 Weighted by the end of my junior year. Very good Extra Curricular activities. Want to be accepted into the Engineering program where I will study computer engineering and computer science. Will do anything to get into this school. Number 1 choice. Completely fine with University Studies. Also, should I apply University Studies as first option and Engineering 2nd option just so I can get into the school? I am willing to do the special program over the summer to switch into Engineering. And in general, what are my chances?

For VT, the chances are unpredictable. I have heard of people getting into Engineering with a 3.0 and people who got denied with a 3.9. I think the best way to get in is to write a amazing essay, truly show that you want to be an engineer.

Also it matters on location. A LOT of people apply from Virginia (obviously) so that means it will be extremely competitive. Each year VT gets more applicants. For a couple of years they have been saying that the applicant pool has been record high.

I got wait listed with a 4.1 GPA and Sat scores of 1410(math and reading). I managed to get of the wait list and I am enrolling for next year. I am even taking CALC 3 at my school and i got wait listed -

Your Stats are on the lower side and you might get wait listed, BUT for me saying if you have a chance of being admitted it is hard to say…

But for University Studies I would say you would get in.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot @Mallu1asa , Congrats on becoming a hokie!! I was just wondering whether I should apply first choice as university studies or first choice at engineering. I really would not mind being a part of University Studies but I would much rather prefer Engineering since it is has the courses which I need for my career. Also, this is my #1 choice school.

@jojojack To be honest it is your choice but here…

I would go as Engineering as you first choice and then have University Studies as you SECOND CHOICE. That will if they admit you to you first choice you are good to go. If not and they put you for University Studies go for it. I believe (not sure tho) students have transferred into engineering their freshman year during second semester. This might make you a semester behind (depends what you took first semester) you will be able to catch up easily during the summer or if you take extra classes.

You can put University Studies as your first choice if you want to be on the safer side, but it is your ultimate decision.

Thanks
and
Good Luck!

@Mallu1asa , thanks for the information, I will talk to my counselor and see what he has to say about this. Thanks for the information and help. I hope you have a great time at Tech!!