Chance me Engineering(international)

<p>Around 3.6 high school GPA out of 4.0 system</p>

<p>7 Honors classes and 4 AP(taken throughout Gr10-12)</p>

<p>103hrs of community service</p>

<p>Honor Role in Freshmen year</p>

<p>According to the US news ranking, the HS I've been in for 3 years is number 1 in my State.</p>

<p>My ACT score is only 22(it sucks, retaking in December) but Purdue makes it optional for us international students.</p>

<p>102 on TOEFL iBT(88 is minimum for Engineering major)</p>

<p>I was in a pretty terrible school in Canada during Freshmen year so my Grades in that year was like a 3.3 or something bad like that converted to GPA system. My classes during Freshmen year was also very terribly picked. So I have a good Grade progress throughout my high school career. (I will include that in my Application if I could)</p>

<p>Good teacher recommendation, Good essay</p>

<p>My Major is Computer Engineering/Science, Financial aids don't matter. I took 4 semesters of Cisco in my school to prepare me for this. AP comp sci is not available in my school but I m currently taking AP Calc</p>

<p>I currently live in US, F2 Visa(not Indiana), Been in US for 2 and half a year and Canada for 3 years. I'm Chinese born but Canadian Citizen.</p>

<p>And like my names says I got 800 SAT Chinese if that matters at all(also speaks 3 languages, Chinese English and Took 3 years of French).</p>

<p>Also Chance me for Ohio State, Pepperdine and Penn State If you could, Thank you. Best Regards</p>

<p>Also other disadvantages:
School grading system is 7point(92.5-100 = A, 84.5-92.4=B etc)
Never had chance to take any high school course in middle school cause it offered none
School dont offer any IB courses and fewer APs than other schools</p>

<p>Also I have past 2 WESTELL tests with level 5, if that furthermore proves my English proficiency.</p>

<p>lol @ username. i think you’re probably in. your freshman grade won’t hurt your chances as long as there’s an upward trend.</p>

<p>Thank you for your reply. Do you think is it better for me to submit my current ACT score right now along with TOEFL score? Only TOEFL score? or waiting until my December ACT scores to come in? Also looking for more responses.</p>

<p>i think you should hold off sending your current ACT score if you’re planning to do it again. have you considered taking the SAT ? some students score better on the SAT than the ACT. give the practice tests a try and see how you do.</p>

<p>ty for reply. i scored pretty bad on the sat i took half yr ago. but thats bc i didnt study. i cant take sat anymore since i already signed up for sat 2 next month. i just wanna know if my toefl score can ease up act score a bit. any1 got accepted with 22?</p>

<p>I hope you like programming and math if you want to do CS. Supposedly 75% of CS students switch out of the program according to my friend who is a Junior.</p>

<p>i suppose CS and CE share alot of classes ? i hear college of science/engineering students usually transfer to krannert</p>

<p>You are ok without ACT. Don’t send it in if you think it does not reflect your potential. Purdue is a match for you.</p>

<p>Thank you for all your replies. As of other majors besides computer engineering I dont really have another one. As my parents wish, I must major in an engineering major. But I have a passionate hate toward physics, so aerospace, mechanical, and EE are out of my choice.
Anyways, I’m gonna send my transcript as soon as possible after break.</p>

<p>More chances/recommendations are welcomed</p>

<p>Your ACT is really breaking your application; if there is anything you can do (retake) to up it I would do so. If you are table to retake I suggest visiting the ACT forum here on CC, there is a lot of good advice there. If you have only taken the ACT once there is a good chance you score will raise simply by taking it again due to the fact you are more familiar with it.</p>

<p>I’m not sure, but the fact that you are Chinese could be advantageous; as far as I’ve heard being a minority can often times help.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Been minority will help due to a form of affirmative action( it is a plus for college admission and is “considered” by Purdue, according to college board). However, as mentioned above, I’m not required, tho recommended to submit my scores, because I already took the TOEFL test. </p>

<p>To make things more clear, my GPA is UW, my high school does not give out extra GPA for taking honors classes. </p>

<p>Need more recommendations.</p>

<p>Your Chinese SAT score means absolutely nothing. The mean score for the chinese SAT is 764, making it the “easiest” subject test by far. I would be concerned if you didn’t get an 800 since it sounds like chinese was probably your first language.
Overall, you look like a mid reach to me</p>

<p>Also, Chinese is not considered an underrepresented minority in most colleges, so that might not help at all. Not positive about Purdues specific policy about minorities</p>

<p>how this is mid-reach…people got in with 23 ACT. Plus, I don’t have to submit the scores as far as admission goes. As far as Chinese scores, yes they matter. It is just a prove that I speak my mother language as good as people who took AP Chinese in school(not offered in my school). The high average means nothing at all besides more native speakers took it. No college would determine if a test is good or not based on average score. If they don’t matter, they Chinese SAT would be canceled long time ago along with Korean. As well as no college would ever consider taking AP Chinese as a class since so many Native speakers are taking it.</p>

<p>It doesn’t matter about minority/not minority. It is not even that important. Plus, affirmative action is toward all people besides white males, it is proven.</p>

<p>

no its not. indians and chinese are severely overrepresented at most schools which is a DISADVANTAGE when applying to the more selective schools. affirmative action is targeted towards blacks and hispanics mainly. and here is proof:</p>

<p>[Affirmative</a> action in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action_in_the_United_States]Affirmative”>Affirmative action in the United States - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ok…?my point is it’s not even that important of a factor.</p>

<p>Look at this before you post</p>

<p>Admission requirements:</p>

<pre><code>* Essay(s) required

• Required: SAT Reasoning Test or ACT
  • If submitting ACT, the writing section is required
    </code></pre>

<p>Very important admission factors:</p>

<pre><code>* Application Essay

• Rigor of secondary school record
  • Standardized Test Scores
    </code></pre>

<p>Important admission factors:</p>

<pre><code>* Class Rank

• Academic GPA
    </code></pre>

<p>Considered:</p>

<pre><code>* Alumni Relation

• Character/Personal Qualities
  • Extracurricular Activities
  • Geographical Residence
  • Racial/Ethnic Status
  • Recommendations
  • State Residency
  • Volunteer Work
  • Work Experience
  • First generation college student
    </code></pre>

<p>As you can see. Racial/Ethnic Status is only considered like recommendations( which isn’t even considered), so its not that big of a deal. Plus even if it is I would get no advantage. They would admit a certain number of Internationals, no matter if it’s Indian, Chinese, French, Argentinians or whatever. I would compete with these people but not the local Asians. We don’t even have the same application deadline date.</p>

<p>Plus, affirmative action is already dead after Bakke case(straight from AP GOV), now it is not “affirmative” anymore but acts as a + factor, no college is allowed to determine acceptance based soley on the race…I think thats enough said.</p>

<p>Also look at the following:
* Percent applicants admitted: 73% </p>

<p>Tests for International Students
Am I on track?</p>

<p>Am I on track to meet test requirements?</p>

<pre><code>* Recommended: SAT Reasoning Test or ACT

• TOEFL required of non-resident alien applicants
  • TOEFL (paper) minimum score: 550
  • TOEFL (computer) minimum score: 213
  • TOEFL (internet-based test) minimum score: 79
    </code></pre>