Chance me for A&M business school (Mays MIS Major)

Hi any feedback is appreciated. I want to know what my chances are for getting into Mays business school.
Here are my stats:
-GPA 5.975 out of 6.5 (my school does it this way for some reason)
-I’m ranked 162 out of 468 but my school is really competitive so I got reranked by A&M to the 1st quarter
-Highest SAT score (new) 610 Reading and Writing 590 Math 1210 Total
-I have solid essays for all apply Texas prompts
-2 Solid rec letters from mays alumni graduates
-I worked as Customer Service Associate at Walgreens for a year starting during the summer of my sophomore year to the summer of my junior year (I worked full time during summers and breaks and part time during school)
-I’m part of the Academy of Finance which is a nationally recognized business preparation organization in which I attend business and networking functions and serve a 160 hour internship at a corporation.
-(This is what I think makes my application) For my AOF internship I secured a very competitive position as an intern at the Shell Global Solutions office in Houston where I work in the process engineering dept and am responsible for various tasks such as managing a computer lab, resolving IT issues, updating the department portal and beta software testing (all of which I’ve listed on the resume I submitted and one of my teachers explained in their rec letter)

• I’ve taken Pre-AP/ AP Science and History courses throughout high school but have taken regular Math and Science courses
  • Gotten credit for all AP exams taken thus far

I know my test scores are my greatest weakness and prevented my from being an auto admit. I know Mays fills up really fast so I don’t know if I even stand a chance as a review admit (although I heard applications are reviewed throughout the year you’re just notified sometime around March so therefore I’m still hopeful. I was also curious if taking the December SAT and getting a 1360 would get me automatic admission. I read somewhere A&M will accept your scores as long as your application is still complete with your old scores. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is I’ll be taking the December SAT as well and hoping for automatic admission.

Thanks so much for reading and any feedback you guys have is greatly appreciated? :slight_smile:

Someone did write that they would take Dec scores - BUT I don’t think that is correct. In the past, there have been problems with score reports for the exams taken before the Dec 1 deadline not arriving on time, they did make exception for that in the past (Nov test dates). Ask admissions directly.

Also the score total you posted doesn’t add up ( 590 +610=1200),

Your advantage is the great EC listing you have. If I recall correctly Shell works with Mays for a special program. One extra item you might consider, is contacting the MIS department directly. That program is smaller than the rest and although a wonderful program, tries very hard to recruit. MIS is a great field with lots of high paying jobs, I’d tell them briefly about your internship and ask about follow on types of internships then slide in the fact that you are a very interested review applicant. Can’t hurt, might help.

IF you take the Dec test and gain academic admit status, what you can do is apply for spring admission if you don’t gain fall admission. Don’t take any college courses after HS graduation (that is the key) and you will remain an incoming 1st time in college freshman eligible for academic admit. IF you take a course, you become a transfer. I’d consider that, check with Shell to see if you could continue working there, then just transition to a college student in January or the following fall if you take an entire gap year. That is a possibility as a back up plan. Speaking of which, do make sure you have a back up school,that you like - any review candidate should do that, it is a very competitive pool of applicants. Good luck!

@AGmomx2 I think it might have been me who suggested that December scores would be accepted. I checked TAMU application instructions and they all seem to imply all docs should be received before the Dec 1 deadline. However, I called the admissions department and they say they’ll accept scores if received before Dec 31.

Oh year sorry I got a 1200. Thanks for your reply and advice :slight_smile:

Update: I got a 1240 on the December test with a 620 r&w and a 620 math and a 23/24 essay score. I sent the scores to tamu but they haven’t appeared on AIS yet (hoping this is because AIS won’t be updated till 1/2/17). I haven’t heard anything back yet from a&m and am starting to freak out. If anyone could chance me it would be greatly appreciated.

I think you’ll be just fine if your essays impress (look to be a good write with a 23 on the SAT essay). Otherwise your SAT is slightly low but I think you’ll get in.