Chance me for bs 11th grade!

Nationality: Korean (will be moving to the states)

Grades: all a’s except for PE, rank 3/171 students for tests, 7/171 including all subjects
Haven’t taken the SAT yet

Other things worth mentioning: Third culture kid, queer, might need FA

EC: moved to my current school due to parents’ work problem (2021)- offers less than 5 ECs total
-Peer counceling (1 year)
-Class representative (1 year)

6th&7th grade
-NJHS (1 year)
-Choir (2 years, represented our school for alto)
-StuCo (1 year)
-Math olympiad (2 years- medaled in one)

Schools I’m planning to apply to:
NMH, Berkshire, Miss Hill, Cambridge School of Weston, Brooks

If you have other schools to recommend me near/in MA please tell me!
TIA:)

Also honor roll in 6th&7th grade, my current school doesn‘t give academic awards but I have the leadership award (2 years)

You look like a strong student, and it’s clear from your list what you’d like. It is a good list!
11th grade admission is always hard, but your situation will help AOs understand why you’re doing it. I assume you meant Miss Hall’s?

Take a look at Putney, Holderness, and Proctor as well. The vibe might be what you’re looking for. Tabor is more traditional and sporty but a very good option in MA as well.

3 Likes

I second Putney

1 Like

Yes I meant to type Miss Halls and somehow got messed up with Hill, thank you for correcting me!
All of the schools you suggested seems really nice and close to where I’ll be living:)
Plus Holderness and Proctor offer FA for international students which is even better since my sister is also planning to attend a tuition-paying school!

2 Likes

Thank you! Putney seems really nice, I’ll def be applying

1 Like

I would possibly look at Ethel Walker (CT) and Miss Porter’s (CT). Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! My mom’s really inclined to choose girls’ schools because she doesn’t want me to date in HS, little does she know I’m actually a lesbian lol
Never heard of Ethel Walker before, but I’ve always wanted to try riding and that seems to be a core curriculum there; I’m really interested in that

2 Likes

Okay so after talking w/ my parents basically my dad wants me to write at least two of the GLADCHEMMS and I told him I stand no chance but he’s set on it so like… probably I’ll be applying but don’t know which school out of them

I actually have no idea which schools are my reach, target, safety schools and how many schools I should apply to. I’ve written a few personal essays because I had previous experience with prep schools in Korea and we only get to apply for three schools in total. (Gifted schools, ‘Early’ schools, ‘Late’ schools)

Also is Loomis worth applying to? My friend attends Loomis and she’s having a great time there!

1 Like

I think you are well generally well positioned and have a good range of school choices.

I am previous Exeter student and loved it, so would recommend potentially throwing it in there as a reach school, depending on how your ssat scores turn out. Happy to answer more questions about my experience there if you want!

1 Like

Large international population, specifically from Asia. Another good reason to include it maybe.

2 Likes

I’ve been taking ssat practice tests and these are my recent scores:
Quantitive: 800
Reading: 720
Verbal: 725
I know they really aren’t great scores but I could def make my reading scores higher if I took the time to check my answers and for the verbal part- well I’m not really sure about how to improve it😭

I’m actually wondering if I should take the SAT instead of the SSAT- mainly because I’m not really that good at the verbal parts

I’ve heard that Exeter has more of the ‘pressure cooker’ thing going on- is it really that harsh?

1 Like

Tabor seems to be really nice but since my sister’s also going to apply to tuition-paying hs we do need some FA and Tabor doesn’t seem to be giving out any to international students!

1 Like

Trying to sort and shorten my list;

Reach: Exeter, Middlesex, Loomis
Target: NMH, Miss Porter’s, Proctor
Safety: Putney, Miss Hall’s

Am I sorting it out right?

1 Like

I just wanted to say that Exeter seems like an outlier here. Have you thought about why that is? The other schools seem to fit into a similar vibe.

1 Like

My dad’s first choice for my school’s Exeter! I don’t get why since my home is like, way closer to Andover😂
I’m applying but I won’t be attending Exeter even if I get accepted

2 Likes

11th grade has few spots and gets filled first with “school needs.” for example, a hockey goalie. Besides Exeter being a reach, I would gauge the others more on number of openings. Admissions should give you an indication of that.

Thank you! 11th grade in any school seems to be really hard to get into so I’m considering a repeat 10th grade as well:)

Assuming you would be repeating, only to improve admissions odds, here are some thoughts:

1. Confirm grade 10 has significantly more spots as a very first step. It will be the case at 3/4 schools, but not 4/4.
  2. There is nothing wrong with applying to different schools for different class years, but there will be a couple of things extra you need to do. For example, adjusting test scores by year on a school-by-school basis takes time and effort since there is no easy way to get that done.
  3. Since money matters to your family, select a non-repeat school, assuming you have that option.

I’ve also been thinking about repeating bc I’ve been away from the american system for a while and I’m not quite sure if I can still adjust and get somewhat okay grades at the same time!
I’m def leaning towards non-repeating schools; I’m really trying to open up possibilities if mind changes in between January and March when admissions arrive:)
And I haven’t really thought about #3 before tysm!

1 Like