Chance me for college with good business/ accounting program

Demographics HS junior

• US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) or international student)US
  • State/Location of residency: *(state is important if you apply to any state universities)*NJ
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): public
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional):white
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):no legacy, nothing interesting
    EC’s: nothing stellar- varsity football 3 years, JV baseball x 3 years. Piano lessons x 12 years, play once a month at church services on sundays
    Lots of AP’s in 10th and 11th- honors chem grade 10, AP Bio, APUSH, Honors pre- calc, Honors geometry/ honors physics grade 9. In 12th- taking AP BC calc, AP Physics, AP MAcro, AP stats, AP Latin. Regular English. All A’s in HS except one B+ in Honors geometry. thanks.
    Composite ACT: 34. Weighted GPA: 4.495

Intended Major(s)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA:
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system):
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank:
  • ACT/SAT Scores:

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

Awards

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach

Thank you in advance! Also happy for suggestions for other good schools for a kid who loves math.

Any cost constraints or region of the country you want to be in? looking for big state school or something private? the best advice we got for junior year summer was just to do visits and see what the size and shape of the schools you like are.

You’ve left out a critical item: cost constraints/budget.

Do you not have a list of schools you’re considering? It’s ok if you don’t - I’m just confirming that you didn’t simply miss filling out that section.

Do you want to major in math? Or business? Or accounting? All, quite different.

Thanks for your response… he likes big/ moderate. HE will not play football in college but would love to watch school games, D1 football would be huge. He is happy in any part of the country except west coast- too far. Not necessarily looking for scholarship money, we can pay in full. Thanks!

Probably will major in business or accounting but maybe minor in Math/ statistics? Not sure

So far the schools he is thinking of: Boston college, UVA, U of Michigan, William and Mary, Emory university, University of Texas at Austin, Boston university. He would love Notre Dame, but told by his peers that is a long shot. He has no leadership/ community activism roles, etc. Apparently that is big with UND.

No budget, we would consider ED somewhere. Probably business/ accounting, but he loves math. Not sure if that is an option for a minor not.

honestly if he wants to do business/accounting his job opportunities will be high coming out of any of the big state schools - Indiana, Rutgers, UMD OSU - i would just start scheduling some local visits and start coming up with a list of things he likes when he visits the campus - then branch to schools with those qualities

Dont forget some schools have integrated 150 credit hours masters programs to be CPA eligible when you calculate cost if you go that route

1 Like

IU would be a great safety.

All those will probably be reaches.

We’re going through the same process with our D who wants to study business.

UT Austin has the best accounting program in the country but would be a huge reach for OOS. You may want to look at Univ Illinois. May also be a reach but probably not as much as UT Austin. BYU also has a great accounting program but it depends if you want to go there.

Indiana should be an auto admit for your son if he meets the GPA/ACT requirement.

Big 4 Accounting firms recruit all over the country.

On the other hand, his stats are very good. With this combo, I agree with @dgf28 - focus on public schools. They tend to be more stats driven. Rutgers, UMD, OSU - all have well reputed business programs. UMD also has a strong math department.
I’d also suggest UNC and Penn State.

Thank you, this is great advice. Which UNC school do you suggest? There are a few I think.

Thank you, yes these are good schools for accounting majors, I heard the NJ kids who attended these schools (recently) for accounting did really well after college.

North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Thanks… but isn’t UNC chapel hill really hard to get into for OOS? It is definitely on his dream list… 2 of his cousins ( NC residents) attend school there. Thank you in advance!

Yes, it won’t be easy. But it’s possible.
Worth looking into, to determine fit, etc.

There are several other reaches on your list. UMich probably the hardest to get into.

So look for additional target schools. Rutgers and Indiana will be sure bets.

UT Austin and U Mich are probably similar reaches for OOS because 90% of UT students must come from Texas where U Mich admits a lot more OOS.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. This is all great information.

Your ECs are not subpar or ‘not stellar’ as you say. They’re very solid. and you don’t need to be in a leadership role to demonstrate leadership in your app.

My nephew went to UNLV and they were recruited by the Big Four. And they’re on nobody’s list.

Not sure it matters where you go but with the stats, you can go for dirt cheap - like $20k all in to fine schools or to higher priced publics and privates.

I’m not an accountant but not sure how different the outcome would be.

Accounting and math are both great majors, probably recession proof.

Best of luck.

IU is the elite safety. Alabama, Arizona, Miami Ohio are two very solid b schools where he’d go cheap thanks to his stats and get a great outcome. There are smaller focused schools like Bentley. Find the school type you like.

His list is achievable - not easy but not impossible. W&M seems a bit out of place - not big nor d1 football. But I don’t see why you’d pay for an expensive school. Also check for direct admit. For example, UVA you enter Commerce later. You have to apply once there so it might not be a good choice as he may not be able to pursue his desired path.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-accounting