Chance me for direct-entry nursing school?

<p>Hey everyone.</p>

<p>My ultimate goal is to become an NP or Nurse Anesthetist for the Army or Navy (And yes, I'm a guy) so I'm trying to get an ROTC scholarship. I'm a junior, 10/450 in my class, my UW gpa is 3.75, my weighted is a 3.9. 29 ACT. I'm in great shape, I have a few varsity sports, trumpet section leader, all the extra-curricular junk. I'm not here to talk about my stats, like most people on here. What are my chances to get into the Direct-Entry BSN program at the following schools? If you need any other information, just let me know. If you can tell me about ANY them, or other schools I should put on my list, I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much, and God bless! </p>

<p>** Do nursing schools look down on you if you're going into armed forces?</p>

<p>University of Michigan
Purdue University
Penn State
University of Pittsburgh
University of Miami
Marquette University
Oakland University
University of Detroit Mercy</p>

<p>Again, thank you so much :)</p>

<p>Your stats are similar to my D’s. Based on her experience, I think you would be admitted at Pitt and Penn State. I won’t guess at the others, because it would just be a guess.</p>

<p>It will probaly help that you are male. You should apply early ( as in September) to any school you you are considering; nursing programs fill quickly. Also make sure you understand how the ROTC scholarship selection works…in most cases you do not get to choose the school (the Army or Navy does the choosing). Nursing ROTC scholarships are different, but I don’t know the details.</p>

<p>I don’t think any nursing program is going to look at you differently because you want to be a military officer.</p>

<p>I’d say in at Mich, PSU, Pitt, Miami…don’t know anything about the others though
Yeah definitely apply early. The only school I haven’t gotten into so far was because the nursing program filled up. (Especially to PSU and Pitt as they’re both rolling)
Are you instate at any of these schools? That would definitely help. But by the looks of it, you’ll be fine college wise :slight_smile: Just make sure on your commonapp essay (or any essays for that matter) you emphasize on why you want to be a nurse. The admissions officers for several schools told me they would rather see nursing applicants talk about nursing rather than something completely random. And so far, its been working for me!
Good luck next year!</p>

<p>I’m a Marquette alumnus (eng. '83). With your stats you will get into Marquette, but for the nursing department it is very selective. They are very fond of comm. service especially if you do it in the field you want to major. Marquette has an ROTC Navy program and they will not look down on you if you apply to ROTC.</p>

<p>Just make sure you have a couple real safeties. As noted above, it is much harder to get into RN programs than the regular admission stats for most colleges. </p>

<p>There also are some state universities that give a very strong preference for in-state applicants, because those students are more likely to work in their state after graduation.</p>

<p>Hopefully, a recruiter can put you in touch with a person who can give you detailed info about options in medical service for the military. Because RNs are reserve officers in the Navy, even when they are active duty, I believe the training is not as difficult as it is for other types of officers. </p>

<p>My sister is an RN who entered the Navy after nursing school. The Navy RNs spend much of their time taking care of medical needs of dependents of active duty personnel. The one warning is: don’t believe promises about where you will be stationed. </p>

<p>My understanding is that RNs in the Navy have a major role in managing many corpsmen under them. The corpsman basically function like LPNs.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help guys, I really really appreciate it. I live in Michigan.</p>