Chance me for ED to Mount Holyoke & Oberlin. 3.45/TO

Hi! I’m a rising senior and applying to colleges. I’m trying to decide on an early decision school based on which one I have a better chance of getting into. (both would be amazing schools for me, there isn’t one i prefer over the other)
GPA: 3.45 (my school doesn’t offer AP’s or class rank)
Submitting test optional
Essay: Very strong
Level of interest demonstrated: Very high (I interviewed at both and did virtual interviews)
The acceptance rate at MHC is higher overall, but the early decision acceptance rate is much higher at oberlin. My gpa is closer to students at oberlin.

Please lmk what college you think I could get into easier! (I know my GPA isn’t the best)

I should also mention, I’m very fortunate to not need any financial aid at either of these schools.

I don’t like the strategy.

You should only ED where you prefer - why try and go to a school not your favorite.

Both have ED1 and 2 -so maybe figure which is your favorite and if it doesn’t work, then use ED2 on the other.

At Mt. Holyoke, 62% submit a test - so that’s going to hurt you a bit. They consider interest and nothing says interest like ED. Only 11% of students have a GPA under 3.5. So seems a reach to me.

At Oberlin, the CDS is two years old. The admission rate is lower but you noted ED is higher so if you know that, it’s great. Interest is also tracked. Only 56% submitted a test so hopefully that won’t hurt you. 26% had a GPA in your range.

So you’re likely right - Oberlin might be a bit easier.

I’d say both are reaches - but colleges love ED.

And you can apply ED to both - if needed.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Deleted.

2 Likes

Oberlin has both ED 1 and ED 2.

2 Likes

My bad. I mixed up the school
Deleted previous comments.

1 Like

Am I missing something? MHC is one under consideration….what is the other?

ETA…I see it now in the thread tags. Oberlin and MHC

These schools have very different personalities. I would suggest not applying ED if one isn’t your stand out favorite. But that is my opinion.

I don’t know if this is helpful, but MHC’s acceptance rate was down to around 38% this year.

Have you visited both campuses while school was in session? I wouldn’t want to ED to a school that I hadn’t visited, and visiting while students are on-campus is quite different than when campus is largely deserted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.