demographics:
-black, muslim, female
-low income >20k family of 6
Intended major: biology(pre -med)

Academics
Top 5
3.8 unweighted gpa
4.1 weighted
(took french in middle school that counted towards hs gpa and got two b’s and many b’s freshman year but strong upward trend since)
5 honors classes, 9 Ap’s, and 6 dual enrollment (includes second semester of senior year)
test optional

Extracurriculars on CA

• Student Council (Junior class president)
  • Cancer Lecture program
  • Hospital Volunteer program ( worked in or’s)
  • Shadowing of Anesthesia Assistance (got to see a surgery)
  • Theater (6 yrs) started program to teach theater to kids in my low income community where the arts where limited
  • med school (scrub camp)
  • Future health professionals (vice-president) hosted blood drive
  • Harry styles fan page with 10k followers
  • Mental Health Alliance (President/ founder)
  • pharmacy employee (2021-present)

Common app essay :
I wrote my relationship with my culture and its tendency to start preparing girls for marriage as young as 9. How i was raised to value marriage and not my education. I wrote about how I eventually fell in love with learning.

There are two real answers here.
The first is that you present as an excellent candidate. You demonstrate very strong academic and leadership credentials. Your essay topic appears well thought out and potentially unique and powerful. You also “check boxes” in areas of underrepresented minority status which can matter when other areas are strong which yours are. (You don’t mention but are you first generation to attend college? ). You also are applying ED so you’re clearly demonstrating to Emory your passion and commitment. In short-- an excellent candidate!

The second answer is with a 13% admit rate there are still no guarantees.

All in all I like your chances. For what it’s worth, my niece just graduated from Emory last year and loved it. She’s now in the medical sciences field. She spent her first two years (at least the parts not disrupted by COVID) on the Oxford campus.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Yes I am first generation. Thanks for your input, it’s greatly appreciated!

I’d be shocked if you are not admitted.

1 Like

You sound like a remarkable young woman. As an Emory alum, I would say there is something seriously wrong if Emory doesn’t take you. Wishing you the best of luck.

Thank you!