Chance me for Harvard EA (this should be fun!)

Hello~

Dropping the stats~

Unweighted 4.00 GPA

KESDA participant, Ratliff scholar, Quad state participant (Band), Honors art (regional) “a” honor roll, regional championship in dramatic interpretation, early graduate scholar, qualification for KHSSL state tournament, Opportunity scholarship reciever.

I take no AP classes or honors classes, my dad forbid me from doing anything but extracurriculars :frowning:
I do Educators rising, speech and debate team, concert band, marching band, art club (I taught at a local guild) I dance, sing opera with a tutor, and participate in photography

My family is a low income family(federal poverty line) , I am african american, at the top 10% of my school and have skills in computer science, leadership experience from art, problem solving abilities , communication skills from taking foreign langauges (as my major is east asia) and I am studying Chinese and Japanese

OH boy that was a lot to write!

lol made an error. be honest btw! I write really good essays too I forgot to mention

oh and I am waived from act/sat currently

I think you have a shot. Although…

…the lack of honors and AP’s might hurt you—typically, colleges try to understand context within the academic transcript; however, I’m not sure “parents didn’t want me to take it” would be a fully effective and understandable situation.

But more importantly, why Harvard? I could name another 20-30 colleges that could give you a similar quality of academics: Yale, Johns Jopkins, Williams, Hamilton, USC, etc.

“Why should you be at Harvard” is a question that the AO’s will be considering when they read your application. That’s not to say you shouldn’t be at Harvard; it’s just something to think about.

Edit: Define “waived.” Do you not have to pay to take it? Or are you applying test-optional?

5 Likes

If your school offers these classes and you didn’t take them, it is difficult to assess your chances.

ETA: for Harvard, that is. You are obviously a highly focused student who will not have any problem getting into a great college.

1 Like

I’m concerned about your not having taken any AP or honors classes. Virtually everyone accepted to the top schools has taken the most rigorous classes offered, even those with huge hooks and spikes, and done very well in them. The admissions officers are going to be wondering about that.

If you had a stellar SAT/ACT score, and your essay were about this issue (maybe something akin to the serenity prayer, accepting what you could not change, and working to do what you could within the parameters you were given, and how you are so eager to choose your own studies in college), then maybe. But you’re choosing not to submit a standardized test score. If I were an admissions officer, I’d really want to see a high score in this situation.

The things in your favor are that you come from an underrepresented state, you are African American, you have a wide variety of extracurriculars (but not extraordinary achievement in any of them), and you have a perfect GPA - but again, no honors or AP classes.

I’d be very surprised if Harvard were to take you because your guidance counselor won’t be able to say that you took the most rigorous classes when in fact, you took no rigorous classes. Where else are you applying?

3 Likes

Apply and give it your all. But I agree with the other posters - if your HS does offer AP and honors classes and you chose not to take them that will likely be a problem. Successful applicants to elite colleges are generally expected to take the most rigorous schedule available at their HS.

2 Likes

Based on your interests, consider taking a close look at Middlebury for a potential reach.

2 Likes

As a candid opinion, Harvard does not represent a realistic school for you (as it wouldn’t be for most high school students).

I really would likke to take AP classes but they cost to much and i am in a state ward school so - thats why my dad disagrees with it

but thank you!

Hi, We all want to help you find great college options. Can you help provide more clarity on your situation so we can give you better guidance. What do you mean by state ward school? If you are in foster care there are typically funds to help pay for some things and waivers for some test fees.

And why are you graduating early?

Taking the AP and honors classes should not cost any more. There are sometimes lab fees and there are AP test fees, but your school counselor can help you navigate those and help you get waivers.

Not taking the most or close to the most rigorous courses offered will hurt your chances at a highly selective college.

From your posts in another thread it looks like you are getting an interview. Good luck on that.

Where else are you looking?

2 Likes

Note that the a ward district (as in a political division) may be coextensive with a public school district, in which case the school district may be known by its ward number.

2 Likes

Its a good sign that you got offered an interview. Harvard is one of the few schools that dishes out interviews to the candidates who are in contention. It doesn’t mean you will get accepted, as there are many students who get accepted without an interview.

You’ve got a lot to be proud of. But I agree with the others, it will be difficult for the admissions committee to gauge your preparedness: no test scores, and no AP classes. But you still might get in. Good luck!

1 Like

Still not sure what that means in this case as the OP lists awards/recognitions from Kentucky and from what I can tell AP tests would be free for most students who qualify for free and reduced lunch. Higher Ed institutions are going to wonder about graduating a year early without taking more rigor.

@srcavi01 in your interview take time to explain it was your parents choice to only take CP classes. The interview may not hold a lot of weight in admissions, but having that note may be helpful for the AO.

It sounds like with your early graduation approval you have been qualified to attend In-state colleges. If you are not accepted to colleges you are applying to this year, you could go for two years and the transfer for junior and senior year. (Transferring a year from now during Freshman year with no college grades is hard.) Or spend another year in HS taking college level AP or DE classes and taking the SAT/ACT.

Did you take the PSAT IN October? You will get that score back around Dec 5th.

No I haven’t. I will ask my counselor about it. Thank you so much for the information! I do need to explain one thing though - as I am apart of a state ward school, we do not have AP or Honors classes, I had to use “my father wouldn’t let me” as a cover. I apologize - now I have permission to say that since I am out of the school temporarily. I will explain in my interview and ask about the PSAT. Thank you!

This is a bit mystifying.

You take opera lessons with a tutor but your family lives at the poverty line. You father forbid you from taking any advanced courses, and only lets you participate in activities after school. Then you said your father wouldn’t let you take APs because the tests are too expensive. Then you said there are no honors or AP classes at your school. Please clarify these issues.

I am a bit skeptical of this post, but if you are asking a genuine question, I think your odds are extremely low. Will your guidance counselor say you’ve taken the most rigorous courses available at your school? I’m concerned because getting B’s in regular level courses doesn’t help. It appears that your EC’s took priority over schoolwork. ECs don’t typically make up for lack of rigor. What will your teacher recommendations be like? If they say you are one of the best students they have ever had, that might help you. Are you male? If so, that might be a little boost.

There are a lot of colleges that would love to have you, so make a balanced list. Don’t focus on one school that is ridiculously hard to get into, even for the most amazing students. Good luck.

4 Likes

Thank you. I apologize because I did lie but it was because i am in a foster care school.

1 Like

I went test optional. Thank you for your feedback.

So what parts of this narrative are correct? What other schools are on your list? What are your financial needs for college? How much can your family afford to pay? Let us help you make a good list.