Chance me for Princeton From South Dakota [3.95, 1570, 1/50 rank, physics major]

Looking at College Navigator (the feds’ website based on IPEDS data):

• 46% of Auburn students are from out-of-state
  • 57% of Ole Miss’ students are from out-of-state
  • 58% of Alabama’s students are from out-of-state

I would look at Niche and see what students (who choose to take Niche surveys) are saying about the schools and see. My impressions may not be accurate, but historically the perception has been that Auburn & Ole Miss leaned more conservatively than Alabama.

1 Like

Actually, you should run the Net Price Calculators at UNC-Chapel Hill and U. of Virginia, as those are among the only two publics that indicate they’ll meet an out-of-state students’ financial need. Also, if your family income is below a certain amount (perhaps $65k?), I think that U. of Michigan also provides need-based-aid to out-of-state students. Double-check on its website, though.

Rice, Wake, Chicago etc do so they want you to show love

And take online tours so you can see the campuses.

Do this - set up a college only email. Annapanda99@gmail or anything.

Sign up on school mailing lists. So do evertyhthing college from this email. When the schools that track interest email you, open them. Play videos even if you don’t watch etc. not all schools track interest. You can see who does by looking in each schools common data set section c7. But those three do.

Some schools will send you free app waivers too.

You might look at W&L and their Johnson scholar as another thought.

You’re gonna do great.

1 Like

My family’s income is definitely below that so I’ll look into them. UNC, UVA, and Michigan would be up there in terms of preference with my reaches although I know they are probably reaches as well

1 Like

U of Alabama is 58% out of state. People follow the money. They pay.

Tulsa is a great and thriving city. Many liberal. Just not the state. I wouldn’t hesitate.

Arizona would be good to cost wise but not as good as Bama. But good. It’s a blue city.

UVM is not cheap even with aid. Fine school though

I think at college, unless you seek out politucs, you don’t deal with them. My son was at Bama four years - he’s a political. Just doesn’t care.

Finally I found this on the UMN website - the two Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin have some sort of tuition reciprocity you might look into.

Information for North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Manitoba Residents | Office of Admissions.

1 Like

You can try the net price calculator on the web site of each school to see what its financial aid may be like. UNC-CH and UVA do claim to offer good financial aid for out-of-state students, but tend to be difficult for out-of-state students be admitted to. Michigan is worth checking the net price calculator as well.

Minnesota and North Dakota have tuition reciprocity agreements with South Dakota, although additional financial aid is unlikely (merit scholarships may be possible, depending on the campus). There is also the WUE tuition agreement among many public schools in the western region, where students can pay 1.5 times in-state tuition, although additional financial aid is also unlikely at most.

Thanks! I’ve only really started this process end of junior year, but I’ve already went to some online info sessions(Princeton, Wake, and Amherst) but I’ll have to ramp it up now.

1 Like

That is true… unless the politics result in laws or social environments that directly impact your quality of life or that of people you associate with. When a student considers political environment, it would be helpful for the student to consider whether any particular type of politics is just politics that can be ignored, or if it results in something that impacts quality of life (visible minorities and those who are LGBTQ are more likely to encounter the latter; women may be more concerned about abortion restrictions, although they can affect men as well).

1 Like

Closing thread because the OP is a troII.

2 Likes