-SAT Score: 1560;

• National Merit Semifinalist
    -AP Classes:
    2021: AP Euro (5)
    2022: Calculus AB (5), Biology (5)
    2023: Planned AP Micro, AP Macro, AP lit, Calculus BC
    Took AP Chem but not test.
    For senior year, I’m taking a total of6 AP classes;
    -Extracurriculars: HOSA, Physician Shadowing, Virtual Clinical Shadowing, 10-hours/wk paid job, Research project on pancreatic cancer, Research project in rare kidney disease

-Intended Major: Biology
-Extras: Online interview with Rice student

Decent chance. But decent within the context of a hard admit school. Why didn’t you take the AP test?

Assuming you become a finalist are you looking at the schools that award significant financial assistance ?

A few more questions: where does the GPA place you in the class? How competitive is the school? Is Rice familiar with the school? Is your level of rigor among the highest at your school, or are there others with similar grades/scores taking 15 APs or IB?

In the RD round, Rice pays attention to demonstrated interest, so if you haven’t already, I would advise you to reach out to Admissions, attend a webinar, visit campus if possible, etc. This could meaningfully increase your chances to stand out in a crowded pool of STEM applicants.

1 Like

AP Chemistry, I am still taking the course.
I have a full ride from other schools(non competitive).

Our school does not rank students. So it is tough to say where it places in class.
I was one of the 12 out of 717 students National Finalist if it means anything.

I have attended webinar, took interview

What is your home state? I understand the lack of rank, just wondering if you had a general sense from a counselor or administrator whether your GPA is likely near the very top of the class, or in the top 10%, or top 20%, or whatever. The webinar and interview are helpful; many in the pool will not take those steps. D22 did a campus tour and attended a financial aid webinar before being admitted RD last year.

got it - so you will take the test. understood.

non-competitive doesn’t really mean such a thing. What’s in your future? Grad school, etc.

Talk to your parents about saving $300K.

Kids get into the top professions from all levels of schools and while Rice is great, it doesn’t have the stretch that other elite schools do - but obviously is strongly tied into NASA.

People with NMF have a true gift - so strongly consider that gift - i.e. a full ride. USC is the elite school that will reward you with money - 1/2 scholarship.

I think you have a chance at Rice for sure - but Rice is hard to begin with - and it’s RD, not ED - but better than the average - but that might be 10-15%. Good luck.

Thank you. I have applied EA to USC also. Waiting mode.