Chance me for the Air Force Academy (Class of 2025)

Hello everyone. I am a current candidate for the USAFA. For reference, I am a Caucasian female from Texas,

GPA: I have a 3.48 unweighted GPA. I am hoping my GPA will boost at least to a 3.6, as I am taking 7 AP Courses, which have had one month of A+'s.

ACT: My composite is 28. I am retaking the exams twice again, one in September and one in October. Below I have posted my sub-scores.

English: 34
Math: 24
Reading: 30
Science: 23

Classes:

• Freshman: AP Human Geography
  • Sophomore: AP World History (3) AP Psychology (3)
  • Junior: AP English Language and Composition (5) AP United States History (3)
  • Senior: AP United States Government and Politics, AP Microeconomics, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Spanish Language and Composition, and English Literature and Composition

-I have also taken 3 PLTW Engineering and one Introduction to Engineering Dual Enrollment Courses from the University of Texas at Tyler.

• I have taken classes from NASA that deals with STEM (High school Aerospace Scholars).

Sports:

• Varsity Soccer, Midfielder, 9th-12th
  • Varsity Cross Country, Co-Captain, 9th-12th

Extracurricular Activities:

• National Honor Society, 10-12
  • Student Council, 9-12 (Member for 3 years, VP my Senior Year)
  • Robotics, 10-12 (Chair of Marketing my Senior Year)
  • Chairperson for CSAP (College Summer Away Program) Fundraising Committee

Volunteer Service:

• Cooked and prepared meals for Veterans Affairs and Local Hospitals during COVID-19
  • Planned and led a STEM Workshop for Middle School Girls
  • English Tutor for all 4 years of high school (2 regular classes, AP English Language and Composition, and English Literature and Composition).

Academic Awards:

• AP Scholar
  • High School Aerospace Scholar
  • Distinctions for STEM, Arts and Humanities, and Multidisciplinary Studies
  • Honor Roll (2017-2019)
  • Core Value Award

Work Experience:

• Customer Service Rep. at Domino's (May 2019 to June 2020)
  • Cashier and Server at McDonald's (May 2019 to July 2019)
  • Sous Chef and Server at local bistro (November 2019 to June 2020)
  • Did both inventory, accounting, and manual labor at family business during the summers and weekends.

( I would work 20-29 hours during the school year, and over 40 during the summer)

CFA:

• I have been able to pass all other tests besides the run and the push-ups. However, as I am exercising 7 days a week, I should be able to achieve over average as well.

Language Skills:

• I am fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish.

Thank you so much for reading. I am open to all kinds of feedback, no matter how constructive.

@Anyalacebolla: What I tell everyone here who posts a resume is that due to the intricacies of the nomination process and the rubric the service academies use to determine appointments, it is impossible to chance anyone. No one knows what the competition in your district will look like in the year you apply, and you are only competing against those in your own district for a nomination, so no one can chance you. Spend some time scouring the wealth of applicant information on the USAFA website and serviceacademyforums.com (CC for academy applicants). No one there will chance you either for the reasons I gave above, but read this response for a very thorough examination of why chancing for any SA is fruitless:

https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php?threads/just-sharing.69366/#post-685570

Then, study the makeup of current classes at Air Force and continue to make sure that your stats meet or exceed those of a typical incoming class: For example:

https://www.usafa.edu/app/uploads/Grad_Class_Profile_2019.pdf

The first step toward an appointment is getting a nomination. USAFA does not consider applications without a nomination, so you need to familiarize yourself with this process if you haven’t already by checking the websites of your congressperson and both senators. Getting a nomination is the gating factor; once a candidate has a nomination and is deemed 3Q (qualified academically, physically, and medically), the likelihood of an appointment is close to 50%. Everything you could possibly want to know about the nomination process has been answered here:

https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php?forums/nominations.21/

You will also need to dig deep to be able to explain clearly and genuinely to the nomination panels why you want to serve as an officer in our armed forces. Also, be prepared to answer your understanding of the consequences of your decision.

From what you’ve posted, note that the academies value brains and brawn somewhat equally, so your varsity athletics will check one box. Your team co-captain position puts a check in the leadership box. Only about a third of any incoming class is selected for scholarship, but all must pass the academic bar, so you need to avail yourself of the most rigorous courses offered by your school and make sure you do well in calculus, chemistry, and physics. USAFA is primarily an engineering school, and all cadets are required to take and pass these courses as part of the core curriculum.

Bottom Line: Do your best academically, up your physical fitness game, and pursue leadership opportunities. You will want to show quality over quantity, stay focused, and put your best application forward. That’s all you or any candidate can do.

Good luck to you!

(Also, if your screen name is your real name, please ask for assistance from the moderators to change it. You should not identify yourself on any Internet forum.)

You have earned a very big chance to this academy! Good luck.

Have you passed the DOBMerb yet? How about the congressional nomination?

@fnpony, @anyalacebolla hasn’t posted here since 9/3. Perhaps if she’s still around, she’ll provide an update.

Today I received an email saying that I have been nominated to Air Force Academy. Also I received my DOBMerb qualification last month, so now I am just waiting for the appointment. Crossing fingers.

@fnpony: Congratulations, but you should start your own thread rather than hijack a dead one. :wink: