Chance me for the UCs

major: computer engineering
UC Gpa: 4.28 UW: 3.90
SAT: 1500
SAT II: Math 2 - 770
Essays - 9/10
ECs - some volunteering, some sports and club involvement, but really not much.

HS course rigor?
Did you take another SAT subject test besides the Math 2?
In-state applicant?

Which UC’s are you applying?
Any science related EC’s?

@Gumbymom I’ve taken 10 APS total including this year. Senior year courses: AP Calculus AB, AP American Gov, AP Microeconomics, AP English lit, and AP Physics 1.

No other sat subject tests taken besides Math 2.

I’m applying to all of the UCS except merced and santa cruz. I also don’t have any science related EC’s…

Your SAT is low for Berkeley and UCLA EECS. You should be ok with the others but UCI and UCSD is highly unpredictable at times especially with the last two years.

You are competitive for all the UC’s and end up with several good choices in the Spring. Although UCLA and UCB should be considered Reach schools they are definitely possible.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above:

UCB: 42.7%
UCLA: 47.2%
UCSD: 84.2%
UCSB: 82.0%
UCD: 90.3%
UCI: 94.1%
UCSC: 92.7%
UCR: 97.5
UCM: 98.1%

25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1280-1490

UCLA: 1280-1500
UCSD: 1250-1470
UCSB: 1210- 1450
UCD: 1190-1430
UCI: 1190-1420
UCSC: 1170-1380
UCR: 1090-1310
UCM: 1020-1230

Best of luck.

you are competitive for all of them but, given the subjectivity of the admissions process, apply broadly.

@Gumbymom Would applying for Computer Science severely reduce my chances of being admitted to any of the campuses?

Do you have the ACT range for the UCs? Thx

For Berkeley you do have the choice of applying for CS through L&S, where admissions is a tad easier. You don’t get that same choice for UCLA. Do read up on the differences though between EECS and L&S CS at Berkeley.

Yes, EECS at UCLA and EECS at Berkeley is extremely hard to get into. I think it’s under 7% for Berkeley and around the same for UCLA. I personally know of 3 people who got rejected from Berkeley EECS with a 36 for their ACT, in the last 2 years. Majors in L&S for both campuses are a bit easier to get into, but not by that much, a bit under 15% or somewhere around that percentage.

@ProfessorPlum168 I’m more focused on UCSB, UCSD, and UCI. Would my stats but weak ECs allow me to get in for CS @ any of those three schools?

ACT 2018 Ranges:
25th - 75th percentiles for ACT:
UCB: 30-35
UCLA: 31-35
UCSD: 28-34
UCSB: 28-34
UCD: 26-33
UCI: 26-33
UCSC: 26-32
UCR: 22-30
UCM: 19-26

I think for UCSB and UCI are solid Match schools. UCSD is very possible but CS/CPE are capped majors so there is always the possibility that you can be accepted in to UCSD but not into your choice major. When applying to UCSD, select an alternate non-capped major unless you would be happy with Undeclared, however to switch into CS from Undeclared is now done by lottery.

It is good to have science/math related EC’s that can boost your application as it is related to your major. I had a little lower stats than you, but a few STEM EC’s that got me into most UC’s. Im attending Berkeley for engineering.
Anyways:
Cal Reach
UCLA Reach
UCSD High Match / low reach - CE is difficult
UCSB high match
UCI high match/match
UCD high match/match
UCR safety
I can honestly see you getting into all of the UC’s, maybe UCLA or Cal (those are really tough).
You’re username suggests you like UCI? If you do, you have a strong shot there.
Good luck!

@anteatergang you probably should be ok for one or more of those 3 schools that you listed under normal circumstances, but you never know. You hear of rumors of yield protection from certain schools, of which UCI and UCSD are always rumored to do. In case you don’t know what yield protection is, some schools will put applicants who are deemed “overqualified” on waitlist, fearing that if they accepted the applicant, that applicant would reject the offer for something better, and thus deny someone who really did want to come to the school. Now no one knows if this practice is done or not, but my guess is that it is to some extent. So the tricky part is that you have to show somehow (in your essay) that you’re committed if accepted. But it’s tricky in that the one application is for different schools.

Also, out of state and international students are more “valuable” than in-state students because they pay higher tuition, so that comes into play as well. Although they now have percentage caps on the max number of OOS and Intl acceptances at all the UCs now on this.

Bottom line, you should be ok but apply broadly just in case.