-UCSD
-SDSU
-CSULB
-Cal Poly SLO

Intended Major: Computer Science

Weighted GPA: 3.98
ACT: 26 (plan on retaking)
New SAT: 1170/1600 (plan on retaking)

AP Course load: AP World History, AP Language and Comp, AP Calculus AB, AP Psychology, AP Physics 1, AP US History

Extra curricular: 100+ hours at hospital and President for my schools Coding Club (started as member and rose to President), helped redesign my schools website.

Kinda weak but thats all I got. Thanks!

I am assuming weighted is UC GPA? https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

SLO also uses 9-11th grades in their GPA calculation so plug in your 9th grades into the calculator for SLO GPA.

CS is a very competitive major for all the schools on your list and you want stats to above the averages. Your GPA is a bit low but within range for most of the UC’s and CSU’s but test scores definitely need to bumped up.

CSULB/SDSU: Match
UCSC: High Match
UCSB/UCD: Low Reach
UCSD/SLO: Reach

I see no safeties on your list. Consider your local CSU and you may want to add a few more CSU’s to your list such as CSU Fullerton, Cal Poly Pomona and possibly SJSU.

Good Luck.

Ok so apparently my UC GPA is 3.63…

and for SLO is 3.7

I would say with those stats, that UCM/UCR/UCSC might be the only viable UC options.
Definitely add the CSU’s I listed. My son applied 2 years ago as a CS major to almost the same schools you have along with CPP/CSUF and SJSU with a UCGPA of 3.73 and ACT of 31. He was accepted to all the CSU’s except SLO. Only got into UCR out of 4 UC’s but did not apply to UCM or UCSC. Many UC’s have 10% acceptance rates for CS so you need to apply widely.

As others note above, CS is a very competitive major. I’d add CSU Chico, Long Beach and maybe Sac or SF to the list above

Would it be helpful to choose a different major like Computer Engineering?

Any Engineering major will be competitive for the UC’s and CSU’s.

if i were you, i would apply as a non-impacted major (like a language for ex.) bc changing your major is seriously the easiest thing ever-- especially as a first year-- and your chances of admittance will be much higher

Also, DON’T ALLOW ANYONE TO DISCOURAGE YOU!
Best of luck!

For many schools, Engineering is impacted and switching majors is not that easy as stated by @UCMtoUCSBHopeful. Also @UCMtoUCSBHopeful transferred as a Gender studies major so not a highly impacted major so you need to take anyone’s advice in context.

At UCSD, applicants wanting to switch into ME/CS required a 3.9-4.0 GPA for the Pre-req’s courses to have any chance. Before selecting your major, look into how truly easy it is to switch. I know many applicants that have gotten acceptances at UCSD/UCSB and SLO and were unable to switch in their choice major.

No one is discouraging you from pursuing your passion, just making you aware that UC’s and CSU’s are competitive for many majors and you should apply widely for the best chances.

If you’re going to be applying as a first year freshman, changing your major is the easiest thing ever
Everyone does it. Best of luck!

^^^^Switching at UCM maybe this is true, but not as some of the UC’s OP is intetested in applying.

Liok at this link: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1904488-colleges-where-engineering-majors-must-earn-high-gpa-or-compete-for-admission-to-their-majors.html#latest

no boo, it’s easy anywhere. admission into the major is based upon completion of premajor courses.
I’ve attended 2 UCs so far, I think I know what I’m talking about

@UCMtoUCSBHopeful: Have you switched into an Engineering/CS major? If the program is impacted or capped, many students need 4.0’s in the pre-req classes to make the change. Of course it depends on the student and campus.
Based on your posting history, you switched from Chemistry to Gender studies. Much easier to go from a difficult major to a less competitive major. Nothing against Gender studies, just not considered a high demand major.

With CS acceptance rates as low as 10% in some of the schools, there are far more applicants than spots.

If you changed to a CS major at any of the UC’s , I would say you know what you are talking about. If not, then you should defer to others that have valid information.

Transferring into engineering/CS at UCSB, UCSD and SLO from another major outside of the college of engineering is going to be next to impossible due to limited space at each respective school’s CoE. For any other major, as @UCMtoUCSBHopeful stated previously, the process of changing majors generally requires just the completion of certain pre reqs.

With a 3.6 UC GPA and average standardized testing scores, your chances of getting into your listed UC schools are slim.

I’m wondering what my chances are if I have around the same test scores but instead of his ECs I play sports and volunteer weekly. My ECs aren’t too strong. Does it help that I’m a minority, have a single parent, first generation american, poor? My gpa is 4.13 uc weighted 3.88 unweighted. 26 ACT 2010 Sat 640 math 570 language. also applying to most UCs. Can anyone tell me my chances?