US citizen
from/lives in Florida
small magnet public school
female/hispanic
no special hooks/factors

applied everywhere poli sci

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 5.05, lower when recalculated for UF/FSU
  • Class Rank: 1/202
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 32 ACT composite (did not send SAT)

Coursework
School does not offer any IB/AICE, just AP’s

9th: AP WH 5, 10th: AP HUG 5 APES 4 AP PSYCH 5 11th: AP LANG 3 APUSH 5 APSPANISH 5, 12th: AP Stats AP Lit AP gov AP macro

Every other core class has been honors, only non-honors are my electives which are related to my poli sci major because i’m in a magnet program :slight_smile:

Awards
Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar
AP Scholar with Distinction
National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar
National Honor Society
Top 10% of Class every year

Extracurriculars
Model United Nations- President (2020-Present)
National Honor Society- Secretary (2020-Present)
HSF Youth Leadership Institute (2022)
Science National Honor Society- Secretary/Member (2021-Present)
HIP- Peer Health Educator (2021-Present)
Study Buddies- Volunteer Tutor (2021-Present) (200+ cs hours)
We The People High School Team (Constitutional Knowledge Comp) (2022-Present)
Part Time Job (Aug 2021- Present)
Wrote one about taking care of my brother junior year when my mom was going through chemo

Essays/LORs/Other
Personal Statement: Id say like 8/10 wrote about how i love books and reading and connected it to my hispanic heritage, was super personal and vivid
UF/FSU dont consider teacher letter of recs

Cost Constraints / Budget
Didn’t apply for financial aid for either
Full bright futures/prepaid

Schools
In-state
Applied to UF Honors (RD NOV 1st Deadline)
FSU (EA for FL Students only)
UCF (accepted already)
USF
FIU(accepted)

Super Reaches
Dartmouth
Barnard
Vanderbilt
UVA (EA)
Notre Dame
UNC
Northeastern (EA)
Umiami (EA)

thank you so much!!! :slight_smile:

I think you can get into both but likely not Honors at either. Well both are tough - much tougher than the schools considered the top Honors (ASU and U of SC.

U Miami you’ll get in

The others are tough of course but first gen and Hispanic will help and it’s certainly possible. Did you apply TO anywhere ?

Best of luck.

i only applied honors to UF, not fsu :slight_smile: As long as I get into UF im good, even if its not honors. I only sent the 32 to florida public schools because they require it, and Umiami/UVA/Northeastern because it was in the middle 50%

1 Like

I’ve been paying close attention to UF admissions the last few years because of my kids. UF says class rank isn’t officially considered…but…that has been the best factor I have seen in predicting admissions. With your ACT score and class rank, if you don’t get in to UF, I would be shocked. I think UF Honors is a 50/50 coin flip for you. I also think you might get in to a reach which will make it a difficult (but awesome) decision that you will have to make.

I hope you come back and update this thread when you make a final decision. Good luck!

3 Likes

thank you so much!! i will. that makes me feel a lot better :slight_smile:

Poli sci - personally I’d go FSU over UF for poli Sci. It’s in the capital.

1 Like

Congratulations to your academic prowess! Being top of your class with a 4.0 u/w GPA certainly are great testimony to your abilities and work ethics. You are a strong candidate, and will likely continue to excel wherever you’ll enroll.

For your super reaches, though, other applicants might apply with higher ACT scores. And while your school/club-based extracurriculars are plentiful - they might not be sufficiently distinct/unique to give you a boost.
On the other hand, your part time job, as well as being a care-taker during a challenging family situation, may help and are something to emphasize!

I suspect that you might get an offer from some of your reaches - but for some schools on your list, the chances are next to nil (5% and less) for anyone during regular decision.

ive heard this! i just feel like UF and the environment is a great fit for me. but for sure FSU is one of my top choices and im excited about it.

2 Likes

thank you so much! i didnt submit my ACT to any schools where it wasn’t in the middle 50%. its mandatory for the FL schools but its in the middle 50% for all of them, so hopefully im ok :slight_smile: :grin:

1 Like

Forgot to add: Was nominated by school for UF Stamps/Lombardi Scholarship, only 2 people from each school can be nominated.

Please see if you can still apply to FSU Honors. Today might be the deadline. You would have a shot. They’re expanding the size of the Honors program. S21 is there and loves it.

It’s tonight. I think I’m going to! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I applied an hour ago because of your comment. thanks so much for the encouragement!!

That was a smart decision. Great program, and great value for in-state students.

1 Like

You’re welcome. FSU with Honors would be a great option. I suspect you’ll get a few more acceptances but basically a free ride to your in-state flagships is huge.

At this point try to maximize your options. You can whittle them down in March.

Good luck.

update: into UCF with provost, got into FSU w/ vires scholarship

6 Likes

update 2: accepted Umiami w foote fellows and 116k scholarship

4 Likes

Outstanding!!!

1 Like

into UVA, fsu honors, and UF honors research program with a 2k stipend!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats. And Miami. All great options !!!