Chance me for UGA and UF

Demographics: Straight white male from Texas

Type of school: Large Public HS

Hooks (URM, first generation, legacy, athlete, etc.): is the athlete oneonly if you are playing in college? I am not.

Athlete (football, baseball, powerlifting)

Intended Major(s): Finance

SAT: 1310

GPA: unweighted is 3.83, weighted is 4.875 on a 5+ scale, 76/1110 (top 7 percent). UGA calculated is around 4.1 and UF calculated is 4.41

Coursework: 9 APs: Statistics, World History, Physics 1, Human Geography, Psychology, Macroeconomics, American Government, Environmental Science, Calculus AB.

6 Dual credits: American History (1301/1302), English language and composition (1301/1302), World Literature (2332/2333)

9 Honors: English 1, Algebra 2, Biology, World Geography, Chemistry, English 2, Computer Science, Pre-Calculus, Spanish 3

Extracurriculars:

1. Varsity Football
  2. Varsity Powerlifting
  3. Travel Baseball (lots of state tournaments)
  4. Worked as a cashier for a summer
  5. Went to Johns Hopkins for a business oriented Summer Camp
  6. A business oriented club
  7. National Math, Science, and English societies (three different clubs)
  8. National Honors Societies
  9. A community service club
  10. Probably around 50 hours of volunteer work
  11. Hundreds of hours babysitting
  12. Not sure if this matters but I was in Band/Choir in middle school

Essays: I believe my essays were strong (had a college advisor help me)

LORs: I have one from my AP physics teacher, a counselor reccomendation, as well as a letter from my teacher who taught me AP World History and Dual Credit American History (1301/1302)

Chance me for: University of Georgia and University of Florida

Already got into Texas A&m, but got capped from UT Austin

1 Like

How are you calculating your weighted. On a 5 point scale it would not be possible.

If your UGA # is right you are unlikely as you are below the top 25% in gpa and test. But even unlikely can get in.

For UF your score is low. But the GPA is at the 25th percentile. UF uses the most common GPA calc.

A&M is a fine b school. Congrats.

Ps first gen is listed as considered by UGA and important at UF. So that could be a boost.

If I had to guess, unlikely to both but better odds at UF. But you’ll know soon.

Good luck.

1 Like

I disagree with you. They have a good shot. I got into UGA with a far lower gpa and test score.

And that’s fine. It’s a chance me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’m just going by the stats provided. I said unlikely.

The first round of students admitted this year had a 4.26 and 1435 gpa. And OP is below last years bottom 25%.

I didn’t say they won’t get in. I’m not admissions. I don’t know. Nor do you. He asked for a chance me which is not needed because he’ll know the real answer soon enough.

UGA has gotten much tougher over the past few years and I believe they started looking at geography where they didn’t b4.

My guess is based on statistics. Obviously a 25th percentile means 25 % have numbers below.

I wish OP luck but either way with A&M he’s good to go.

3 Likes

When? GPA and SAT are around the bottom 25th percentile based on last years numbers. Applications are up around 10 percent this year and they are considering residency for the first time for all applicants. I agree UF is more likely. UGA is possible but unlikely. A and M is a great school with in state tuition so that is a great option.

2 Likes

I have been following UF admissions for the past few years for family reasons. I don’t recall a single person with an SAT in the 1300s who got in to UF OOS. Perhaps it happens, I just don’t recall seeing it discussed here or on Reddit.

2 Likes

Side not - with UF make sure you know what you’re getting into. All Florida publics require 9 credits in summer - there are waiver provisions.

And many on this board have complained about early year classes being on line and not in person.

So if you weren’t aware you may want to look deeper.

Many OOS families end us surprised and turned off about the 9 credit in summer requirement that they were unaware of. The link is engineering so not business but it’s applicable to all students. Plus UF doesn’t admit by major according to FAQs - although since some get a pathway for engineering that may be one exception.

1 Like

It’s a 5+ scale is what my counselor told me. If you get an A in a level class its a 4, a 5 in honors, and a 6 in an AP/dual credit.

UF will recalculate your GPA. Only count the five core courses. Add .5 for honors and 1 for AP or DE.

1 Like

That’s why it’s so high - makes sense. They double up the norm.

As you had calculated your UF GPA, I used that in determining my guess - and to be clear, that’s all it is. Only what UF says matters.

Good luck.

1 Like

That’s not how UGA calculates it at all. UGA gives no weight for honors. You get one point for API/IB classes. No points for dual enrollment. 90-100 is a 4.0. 80-89 a 3.0 etc. They tell you exactly how to calculate it on the UGA admissions blog. Use only core classes in the calculation.

UF does give weight for honors classes but it’s .5 for honors and 1 point for AP.

1 Like

Yeah Op noted a 4.1 UGA and 4.4 UF.

They also posted the school one which was more than 1 point higher weighted than unweighted. So I was curious.

It seems like their listed GPAs for each school were calculated using their respective calculations.

2 Likes

I have both uga and uf calculated GPA’s in there lol

I was confused by your comment about a six point scale, as neither UF nor UGA use this.

Given these calculated averages, I think your chances are better at Florida. Your UGA GPA and test scores put you at or below the 25th percentile. Texas is an extremely popular state for UGA applicants, which may work against you as well since residency is considered and geographical diversity is desired. Do you have a feeling how you compare with the other applicants from your school, if any? This may be considered as well.

If you applied early to Florida, you should find out on Friday.

And please let us know !!

@ieubviuwbrvuib how did you do with UF and UGA?

1 Like

UGA is March 17 for regular decision so he may be waiting still on that. UF came out Friday.

Crap u r right. I know UF was out and I jumped the gun.

Wonder how OP fared.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.