Chance me for UIUC Transfer: Transfer Student, CS or CS+Math major, Illinois resident, 3.97 GPA

So long story short, a couple of years back before I was on my adhd medication I was a complete different person. I did horrible in high school, and did a couple of weeks of a semester in college in 2019 before (unofficially) dropping out and getting Fs in 2 basic courses. Since then I gained a ton of maturity and motivation, decided to get on my adhd medicine, and go back to school. After my first full year I received an A in every class, including my previously failed courses (except a B in a 1 credit intro to college course) and now have a 3.97 gpa, with classes including calc 1, calc2, economics, English 1 and 2, and more, all while working 40 hours a week (and taking calc 1 and calc 2 in the middle of my work shift for my lunch break).

I want to transfer somewhere for Computer science, and UIUC is my dream school, but I know how competitive it is especially for a transfer student.

My main concern is my past, and also the fact that I can’t take very many classes compared to most students… Last year I took 30 credit hours, which isn’t bad but a lot of them were prerequisites, this semester, I’m only taking 7 credit hours (calc 3 and intro to psych, receiving an A in both) due to my work schedule and most classes falling in the middle of it.

Demographics

• Live in Illinois
  • Average small public community college
  • Male, half white half black*:
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):

Intended Major(s)
CS or Math & CS

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• College GPA: 3.97

Awards

• $5,000 Scholarship, which was apparently a prestigious scholarship for our school, and is only given to 3 students in the school for academic performance, essay answers, and a great letter of recommendation from my calc 1 teacher who said my work ethic is insane.

• $500 scholarship for STEM Major at my school

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

*Founder and President of the Computer Science club at my college.
*Recording Secretary in the National Honor Society at my college.

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

I would say pretty strong. Even though my terrible past can be a really big negative, according to my one of my scholarship readers, it makes for a pretty good essay.

Cost Constraints / Budget
A scholarship would be nice, however I’m not too concerned with the standard tuition

Schools
University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana

UIUC has one of the most competitive CS programs in the country (on the level of Ivy+ schools) with an undergrad acceptance rate of just 6.7% (compared to the overall acceptance rate of 59%) In-state should help a bit but not sure how much it will. I don’t know too much about the transfer competition in particular but I will assume that its difficulty is not too different. So give it your shot, but if you really want to transfer out of your current college, I would definitely look into other schools as well. Don’t bank on getting in UIUC CS, because it’s so competitive that nobody really can.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I’m shooting for the cs+math program, which I heard the cs+x courses have around a 20% admittance rate. Still competitive but a lot better odds than 6%. Thanks for the feedback!

Np! Are you only looking in-state? UIC and IIT are options if you’re just looking in-state.

Transfer GPA Guidelines, Undergraduate Admissions, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign indicates that a 3.5 college GPA is needed to be a competitive applicant for any CoE major (including CS) or any ___&CS or CS+X major in LAS. The only concern would be how the “Fs in 2 basic courses” may be counted when UIUC evaluates your GPA.

If you go to Transfer Handbook, Undergraduate Admissions, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and click on the CoE and LAS sections, you can check the course requirements for the majors you are interested in to verify that you will have them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.