Chance me for Yale [VA resident, 3.7/1400, for English]

Hi, I’m a rising senior planning to apply to Yale REA
GPA(unweighted): 3.7
SAT: 1400(will not submit)
Major: English
EC: Student body President, volunteer at local animal shelter, and president of newspaper at school
No cost constraints
Virginia Resident in good public school
9th grade classes:
Regular Bio
Regular Geometry
Honors history 9
Honors English 9
Honors French 2
10th:
AP World
Regular chemistry
Regular algebra 2
Honors English 10
Honors French 3
11th:
AP US
AP Bio
AP Lang
Honors French 4
Regular precalc
AP Econ macro and mirco(done as a 1 semester class each)
12:
AP Euro
AP French
AP Psych
AP Physics 1
AP Calc AB
AP Lit
I’m also a double legacy with 2 older siblings currently at Yale

1 Like

Congrats on your achievements so far!

You are clearly a strong student who is capable of thriving at a rigorous school like Yale. That said, I think your chances are low because Yale has such a tiny admit rate–they just don’t have enough slots to accept all the qualified students. In addition, it is unclear whether legacy will still be a hook this upcoming year. Maybe it will still be technically allowed, but my hunch is schools will not give it as much of a boost as before.

You will thrive wherever you are planted if you work hard and grab opportunities.

2 Likes

Has your family been huge donors?
If so, that may help.

Overall, Yale had an under 5% acceptance rate this past year so it is a reach for any unhooked applicant. As stated above, there are more extremely well qualified applicants than spots available. Absolutely apply and give it your all. But also work to create a well balanced application list with reach, match, and safety options that you would be happy to attend.

Congrats on your accomplishments to date and good luck moving forward.

1 Like

What kind of school ? Private, public, etc. 3.7 is low but I’m not sure how it is in context of your school. Are you in the top 10% of your class ? 97% of admits at Yale are. Also, while they are TO, per CDS, 88% submitted tests. And some who don’t are likely athletes so TO likely doesn’t bode well.

How are your academics compared to your sisters ?

Like anyone, please have safeties and targets. It’s hard to know more without knowing more about your HS.

Good luck.

3 Likes

You have a strong background, however, Yale is most likely a long shot. If, however, your legacy status includes significant family donations to Yale that could be a difference maker.

2 Likes

You will have better perspective and context than anyone on CC by just comparing your profile to your siblings. How do you compare?

2 Likes

My brother(rising senior at Yale) was decently stronger while my sister(rising sophomore) was slightly weaker so it’s a bit of a toss up.

My family are significant donors but not donating a building level donors. My siblings admission makes me more confident but I know admissions are getting more competitive and never guaranteed(even with legacy).

Thanks! According to my guidance counselor being a legacy is meaning less as time goes on, so what would have worked for my siblings might not be the same for me. Although it’s worth a shot and I’d be happy at any of the other schools I’m applying

Could I put my full college list here or is that a place for another thread?

2 Likes

Sure.

Do you know your rank because one might see a 3.7 and 1400 as unlikely for schools even a tier down but we don’t know the strength of your school and you within the school.

Also what sub area of English interests you ?

Yes of course.

If you have any preferences in terms of what you want in a college, cost restrictions etc. you can mention them as well.

I got to Public and am ranked 54/300, so top 18%

Based on that I’d say Yale and even schools a tier below are highly unlikely.

Plus TO doesn’t help.

But you said your academics are superior to your sibling who got in so I might be missing a lot.

1 Like

Closing thread because the OP is a troII.

1 Like