Chance Me...I guess?

Hey guys- I’m a GWU applicant for Fall '24- and umm well I want to major in Politics. Just wanted to know about scholarships and how is it like to study there and if- with my grades I’ll be able to make it there. My grades are slightly above average with like As and A pluses in most subjects and a C in math. My SAT score was 1240- and I’m attempting it a second time. But I do have a lot of cool extracurriculars- such as my short film got nominated, my essay was shortlisted for a global essay competition- where I wrote on the topic of Economics- on whether billionaires should be banned or not? also I have been in the student council for 2 years now, and I’m at the second highest position there is. I also did a long course offered by Yale in Coursera and I also was a finalist in a national music competition in the piano category. I did many hours of community service and co-wrote a research article on hunger and malnutrition. My book on global affairs will also be published later this year. Will this make me eligible to get into GWU?

Apply and see!

Also check to make sure this very very expensive college that doesn’t guarantee to meet full need for all is affordable for your family.

And do make sure you have a variety of other colleges on your list including a couple that are more likely for admissions, are affordable, and you would be happy to attend.

5 Likes

Sure, I’m doing an Early Decision for it and I’m really nervous. Have a number of other colleges too on my list- I’m really nervous :grimacing: :grimacing: but thank you for the help. Do they offer any scholarships for non US students?

Why are you doing early decision? Do you understand that this is supposed to be a binding acceptance…if you are accepted.

GWU is need aware for international students…IIRC. And they don’t meet full need at all. Are you an international student? They provide some very competitive merit awards for accepted international students, but zero need based aid for international students.

How much can your parents afford to pay? Please check this with them. This college is amongst THE most expensive in this country.

The following is from the GWU website.

GW awards exceptionally qualified international students with merit scholarships in recognition of their academic accomplishments. See details on merit scholarships below. GW is unable to offer need-based or U.S. government aid to international applicants.

U.S. law requires international students to submit financial documents proving the ability to pay for one year of study before an institution can send out visa immigration documents. Most international students will submit a bank statement, certificate of deposit, scholarship or sponsorship award letter, or a combination of those three to meet this requirement. The funds can be in any currency as long as the amount is equivalent to the published cost of attendance; however, GW will only accept financial documents in English or with official English translations. Complete details are on our International Applicant webpage.

1 Like

My daughter also struggled in Math, but still got in. EC’s do make a difference here. Being full pay , even if they dont state it, also helps. If you apply ED, they accept almost all ED’s (based on CDS), but can you afford it? Being International does make it a bit trickier.

To avoid miscommunication - you are currently attending school outside the U.S., or are a U.S. resident attending school here, but not a citizen?

1 Like

@Jay27 are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Or are you a citizen of a different country than the U.S.

Please answer this!

I’m a citizen of a different country other than the US

I’m attending school outside the US.

Yes indeed. I’m a bit worried about that honestly. I feel so scared and don’t know what to do. I’m doing an ED through the common app. My SAT scores are below average and my grades are pretty ok-ish as I stated above. It is indeed not affordable for me so I am aiming for a scholarship (if there is any) to get in there.

Thank you for your reassurance though- and I’m trying my level best to go to a good school for my undergrad in Politics. Is there any way I can contact your daughter about her experience there or maybe if you could tell me how the experience was like with student life and courses and stuff that would help :slight_smile:

I’m so very sorry- as I’m based in a country other than the US, I might take a day or two to respond due to my study load and time difference. Apologies.

I didn’t know that. My bad- I’ll go check this right now. Very sorry for taking much of your time.

No need to apologize for taking time here. That’s what this site is all about.

You need to check EACH college website that is of interest to you. You need to know their policies on aid for international students…if you hope to get any kid of financial aid.

I responded on your thread about University of Washington as well. Do you know where that school is located? Regardless, they offer zero aid of any kind to international students.

I guess the question is…how much can your parents contribute to your college education annually?

You might want to see if this can be of any help to you.

You need to check with your family about what IS affordable. I would also suggest you find some affordable colleges in your home country.

3 Likes

It is also not affordable for many US students who would like to go there and can’t afford it. They also hope to gain scholarships to attend. It is very competitive but even worse for non-citizens who do not qualify for any government funding.
Why did you select this specific university? Because of the name? Location? Reputation for politics? What do you hope to do with your political science degree?

There are several thousand universities in the US. Many do teach political science. Many are better and less-expensive than GW. You need to do some more research and find some affordable schools that you will like attending if you are admitted.