Chance me? I just would like to know someone else's experience, please.

I’ve applied to a good handful of top schools Ivys and the like, and I know at this point everything is out of my hand but I’m so concerned. My app was strong–great ECs, leadership, wonderful recs, interesting essays, SAT 2 scores in the 700s, fours and fives on APs, self studying APs, awards, QuestBridge, ACT of 35 with perfect scores in some categories, yadyada yada. My only weak point are my math and current physics grades.

Freshman year we take geometry and it’s literally killer, I received a 77. It’s not uncommon either my friend also got a C and someone who went to Harvard got a C last year (legacy). Then we take algebra and I got a 88 (woo +11). Precalc I got an (80). Now I’m taking AP calc and my quarter grades are (94 YAY, and 83) and well also an 83 in AP physics I think. I know I never really tried hard enough in math because was scared of putting effort in an failing, and now I’m trying to boost my confidence in math. I’m so mad about that 83, but I’m going to kick butt now. All these classes were the hardest I could take

I got a 33 on the math ACT, and just took math 2 in January to help my app so I hope it goes well

But I was wondering if any URMs specifically could talk about getting in despite a couple of not so stellar grades. This is the only thing weighing on my mind as I wait. I guess I just want to see if anybody did get that second chance, and got into top schools. I’m a bio/neuro major too.

Your 35 makes you academically qualified for practically everywhere in the country. But whenever you’re talking about the super selective schools (admit rates >10%), you just have to accept that the competition is crazy. But you’ll certainly have many schools that want you come the end of March regardless. GL to you

bro ur gonna get into stanford/harvard/yale/princeton/brown

or at least most of those

@T26E4‌ thanks for responding. just wondering why did you come back to this old post? did you stumble upon my other threads and look me up? I’m just curious. Was is that awful Harvard thread?

I received an early acceptance/write to Amherst today which is good luck I hope. I guess a good thing is my lower grades were a cluster so, it showed that I was weaker in math. Now I vow to work harder.

If anything. I feel ashamed that I invoked my URM status when asking an opinion. I realize that other people especially from other races have categorized URMs in such a way that it makes it seem that our accomplishments are centered around our racial status. I should have posted this cowardly chance in a general forum. But lo, I’ve used my URM status to justify my weaknesses, and make up for my failures to challenge myself in math. I hope for a second chance, and, if anything, everybody especially URMs don’t rely on the feeling on being on a pedestal for college admissions. Work hard as if you don’t know you’ll get in, and when you do, because of your hard work nobody can shut you down. The feeling of being on the border, or relying on hooks is the worst. Who knows maybe one day AA will not have to be used, but hard work will always hopefully give you a chance.

@thegrant‌ I’m in concurrence with you, so we’ll both hope for the same outcomes.

I just hadn’t visited this forum in a bit. Congrats on the Amherst accept! Trust me, your 35 makes you viable, URM or not. Don’t even think twice about it.

There is more than 1 good elite school. You’ll find a place.

@CORDIE no worries, I was accepted to Harvard, Yale, Amherst among many others schools. I ultimately choose Harvard.