Chance Me - LSA University of Michigan [MI resident, 4.0, 1350]

US citizen. MI In-State
Unweighted GPA - 4.00. SAT;1320. Last year got 20 students from my school to UMich. Good Extracurricular : 4 year Tennis. 2 years part time retail work experience. Shadow a Doctor during Summer. Took 12 AP courses out of 14 that my school offers. Confused if I should apply with SAT score or not.

Intended Major(s)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA:
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system):
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank:
  • ACT/SAT Scores:

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

Awards

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach

Major?

Applying to Biology major in LSA College.

I think it will be tough - your test is too low and a very high percentage of students submit the test. But whereas the 25th percentile is 1350, that means 25% are submitting who are below.

So you have a chance.

What is your split?

I’d lean toward submitting although if you go TO, you can:

• Students who do not wish to have SAT or ACT scores considered as part of their application review can still submit other optional forms of testing (such as AP exam scores or IB exam scores), and these scores may be self-reported.

Given that more than 3/4 are submitting a test score, it would worry me to go Flexible - but I agree, it’s a tough call.

if you don’t get in and you might - you’ll never know why.

That’s why your list needs to include other schools.

Best of luck.

Split is Maths-720. English-630.

What does your HS counselor say about submitting or not?

If you haven’t asked your counselor please do so…they should know how students who have applied with or without similar test scores and profiles have fared in UMich admissions over the past two years.

Do you have any AP scores to report?

This is a 1350 - not 1320.

We will use your highest superscore, which means that we will consider the best sub-scores reported across multiple test dates. You may submit your scores as a superscore, but if you wish to have us calculate the superscore for you instead, you may submit all of your test scores.

The English is a bit low. Yes, ask your counselor. I’d lean toward yes but with the English low, it’s still dicey. That most submit is what worries me.

This is the second thread and their school sat avg is around 900. I first told not to submit but their clearly higher then their own school norm. They need to find out what Sat, GPA got those others in and do accordingly

My AP Scores are not that great to report. AP Gov-3, AP Word History-3, AP Chem-3, AP CSP-3. Others from my school except 3 or 4 who got in 1500s are not going to report their SAT score, I believe since their SAT scores are in 1200s or below.

Don’t report 3 's. It means nothing to them and certain schools will allow a 3 and above. Schools like Michigan use 4 and 5 mostly. UIUC as an example will take your 3’s and might be a factor going forward when choosing a school.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.