Chance Me/Match Me: NJ Rising HS Senior 3.8/1510 - Business or Bio Major

Demographics

• US domestic US citizen
  • State/Location of residency: NJ
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): Public School K-12
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional):
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): Athlete (Soccer)

Intended Major(s)
Business
BioMed
BioScience

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.48
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank:
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1510

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))
AP Language and Composition
AP Biology
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics

Awards
Varsity Soccer Player

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)
Northwestern Business Club Competition - Regional Runner Up
Wakesman Science Program - Rutgers University Biological Research Paper publication

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)
2 LORs from High School Teachers.

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    Pitt
    Penn State University
    Rutgers University
    Indiana University
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
    New York University
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    Boston College
  • Match
    Emory University
    Boston University
    Case Western Reserve University
  • Reach
    University of Pennsylvania
    Duke University
    Northwestern University
    Johns Hopkins University
    UC Berkeley
    UMich Ann Arbor

Are you recruitable? If not, then it’s not a hook, just another EC. If recruitable, then it could be a significant boost.

You didn’t answer this question. What is your budget? Some of the schools on your list are quite expensive and don’t offer much in the way of aid (UC Berkeley, for example). What are looking to pay per year and will you need need-based aid and/or merit aid? Have you run the Net Price Calculators for these schools?

2 Likes

You’re likely and matches are reaches. Except UIUC which is likely.

That’s excluding the finance aspect.

2 Likes

Have your parents discussed a budget? You need to begin there.

I think you have a lot of reach schools on your list, and I think many that you have as likely or matches are really reaches. That’s ok, as long as you like your safety schools and can afford them.

I see Pitt as a likely rather than a safety,

Except for UIUC, all your likely/match schools are actually reaches. If you went ED, however, I think BU and Case Western would move into the match category. Obviously, if you are recruitable for soccer that changes the calculus - your stats are strong enough to get you in most anywhere if they are recruiting you with strong coach support.

Umich is a Match with a 20% acceptancerate, Emory and NYU are Reaches with a 10% and 8% acceptance rate respectively.

Michigan is a reach, not a match.

1 Like

I’d agree - but it depends on how you define march. To me 20% is a reach and the student is strong but not off the charts. But agree or not, the other writer thinks 20% is a match.

2 Likes

Is 20% the acceptance rate at Michigan for your majors? For OOS?

As a suggestion for your list, look into the University of Richmond.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.