Chance Me/Match Me - Vanderbilt , Emory (4.0/34 for pre-med)

PreMed

GPA Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.52
  • Class Rank: 35/752
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 34

Coursework
12 APs until 11th grade + 1 dual

1. AP Cal AB/BC 2) AP Chem 3) AP Physics 1 4) AP Physics 5) AP Bio
  2. AP Stats 7) AP Comp 8) AP Micro/Macro 9) AP Human Geography
  3. AP US History 11) AP english language and composition
  4. AP Sociology

12th Grade Planning to Take :

1. AP English Literature
  2. AP Physics E&M
  3. AP Physics M
  4. AP Environmental Science
  5. Org Chem
  6. AP World History

Awards

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

1. YP Stem Club - President
  2. SWAT Anti-tobacco - VicePresident
  3. UFA select soccer
  4. 400 Hrs Volunteering - Healthcare setting
  5. 80 Hrs shadowing hours
  6. Phlebotomy Certified

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
No issues on Cost.

Schools
Vanderbilt , Emory , UNCC , augusta bs/md

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach
1 Like

What is your 35 rank of ?

How much time goes into your ECS, is there a lot of depth to them ?

1 Like

I am confused by your rank of 35

1 Like

Sorry , i just updated complete data.

1 Like

Any are possible. Only UNCC is assured or did you mean UNC CH which would also be possible but a reach.

These are reaches but possible. Do you plan to apply Oxford at Emory to increase odds?

What are your targets and safeties, just in case. Or is it UNCC?

safeties - UAB

1 Like

So you mean UNC and not UNCC.

You have a chance. But these are top schools. If just undergrad then UAB a slam dunk.

How about Oxford of Emory - that would help.

Just these schools - no more ?

2 Likes

UNC - Chapel Hill

1 Like

I am not considering for Oxford of Emory.

1 Like

What is missing in profile to get me in to the Vanderbilt, Emory, UNCC , Augusta bs/md ? I am working on ACT to improve my score.

I also looking around Washington University, UC Berkeley and UCLA.

1 Like

Your safety is UAB? I am getting confused with UNC C- that means Charlotte.

Ok I see you mean UNC-Chapel Hill. Are you instate?

You are an accomplished student, but there is no way to tell you what is “missing” from your profile. That implies that if you add X or Y, you will be admitted. It doesn’t work that way.

You have a lot of reach schools, and BS/MD is extremely competitive. Add a few safety and target schools and you will have some great choices.

5 Likes

No , Out of state. From GA.

It’s not a question of what you can do better ? They are reaches. You can do ED.

UNCC is UNC Charlotte.

Just say UNC. That’s Chapel Hill.

If you’re looking at med school, where you go doesn’t matter.

Save your loot.

3 Likes

Are you applying to UGA? They have a great honors college and you would have tuition covered by Hope/Zell scholarship. As others have said, there is nothing lacking in your profile. All of the schools you are looking at are a reach for you because they are a reach for everyone. (with the exception of UAB but if you are looking at the BS/MD program that is a reach as well.) You need some safeties and matches. Applying ED to Vanderbilt or Emory would increase your chances, but they are still a reach and you need some fall backs.

5 Likes

Yes . I am going to apply UGA as a safe option.

2 Likes

UCB and UCLA are test blind and even though you claim to have no cost constraints, you should budget for 8 years. At $72K/year to attend either UCLA or UCB as a Pre-med is not a smart option.

CA is one of the most difficult states for med school admissions. Only 17% of CA applicants matriculate to an in-state (public or private) medical school.

UCLA is the largest supplier of med school applicants in the country; UCB is the fifth largest so the competition is fierce.

You want to attend a school where you have the best chance for a High GPA in the Medical school pre-req courses, access to medically related EC’s and a school with good Pre-Med advising. You also want to keep undergrad costs at a minimum. In general you need a place where you can thrive as student–academically, socially and personally. Medical schools are looking for students who are not just top students academically, but also interesting, well rounded individuals with specific social competencies and leadership skills.

4 Likes

@Gumbymom Thank you providing very good information. UGA is very good school. But dont have access to EC’s. That’s why i am looking other options.
My be i am wrong.

1 Like

I am not sure what you mean. The website has volunteering, student organizations etc.

You can shadow and get direct patient hours during summers and breaks

4 Likes

What is missing in profile to get me in to the Vanderbilt, Emory, UNCC , Augusta bs/md ? I am working on ACT to improve my score.

I’m not sure there’s much missing, you could retake the ACT, but not that will help. Vanderbilt average is 34, maybe you focus on essays and recommendations during the summer instead. You could ED to either and increase your chances that way, but if you have to be comfortable it’s one of your top choices and you can afford either college.

1 Like

Have you taken foreign language? How many years?
What are your AP scores so far?
Are you taking math as a senior?

If you really want Emory or Vanderbilt, pick the one that is your favorite and apply ED. Spend time on your essays and personal statement. Community service is not about 400 hours: the hours aren’t the focus. Instead, communicate WHY did you do the activity, and what impact did you make?

How many kids from your school get in to Emory or Vanderbilt or UNc each year? Your record looks great, but it is hard to know as none of us know how kids from your school do in admissions.

2 Likes