Chance-me: NC resident, Georgia Tech, Rice, UIUC, Purdue, NC State, UNC for Engineering [3.8/1580/35]

I’ve sorted your list by my guesses as to what your chances might be. I would also look carefully at admissions for each school, as if the majors are in a different college then it might be quite challenging to switch majors, depending on the university (i.e. computer engineering & industrial engineering are usually in the engineering school, while operations research would usually be in business, and applied math in the college of Arts & Sciences, or maybe in a separate science & math college). I would apply either to the degree that is hardest to be admitted to (if you can’t switch into it if you signed up as a different major), or the major you think you’re most likely to stick with. For both your ED schools, chances would switch to Low Probability if you ended up not using an ED on them.

Extremely Likely (80-99+%)
RPI

Likely (60-79%)
UNC
NC State
UW-Madison

Toss-Up (40-59%)
Purdue

Lower Probability (20-39%)
Rice ED
Wash U ED2
UMich

Low Probability less than 20%
Georgia Tech
UIUC
U. of Washington (if UWash was meant as U. of Washington…WashU was already chanced above)

Is Chinese a heritage language for you? How far did you go in Spanish? The amount of foreign language you’ve taken might possibly be an issue, depending on how much foreign language coursework you’ve taken, along with each specific university’s requirements or preferences.

Generally agree with everything but major selection is an absolutely critical variable here. For instance, at UW OP should stand an excellent chance for any major that’s not in the Allen school (CS/CE).

Your stats are very similar to my D22 who is currently at Rice, albeit studying humanities rather than STEM. The ED rate last year was roughly 17%, so probably 10-12% for non-athlete applicants. I would say you probably have a bit better chance than that, as you are well-qualified and there will be some in the pool who are much less so. Perhaps AustenNut is about right with 20%-39%.

1 Like

Is CS or IE/OR your preferred major?

CS is relatively common. IE is not that common. The only NC publics with it are NCSU and NC A&T.

Thank you! That always confuses me- if that is the case (GT does not admit to specific major) then how come CS is so hard to get in vs. other programs are easier?

by the way, what is S20?

I didn’t list my safety schools. Thinking about RPI, ASU, WPI be the safety

Chinese is the heritage language. And I took Spanish for 3 whole years. Only not taking it in the senior year

UW- you mean the one in Seattle not the Wash U right?

Yes.

Yes, IE is one of the major I am thinking of taking as well

Assuming that ASU means Arizona State (versus Alabama State or Arkansas State, neither of which have IE), it should be a safety if you meet the basis course requirements with a 3.0 GPA and can afford the cost.
https://degrees.apps.asu.edu/bachelors/major/ASU00/ESIEEBSE/industrial-engineering

@wiww (I should have quoted Gandalf rather than reply to)…

To the best of my knowledge, the only consideration GTech gives to legacy status is a guaranteed transfer pathway for (edit) students not directly admitted.

is it only for waitlisted? or anyone who want to transfer? I didn’t find this “waitlisted” on there website…

Conditional Transfer Pathway Program | Undergraduate Admission it’s a potential transfer/admission for a legacy student who was not directly admitted for the freshman year.

1 Like

Thank you, Jym!

1 Like

thanks for the link- Didn’t see “waitlisted”- does”not directly admitted” mean waitlisted?

As people mentioned GATech OOS is very difficult since GATech by law needs to fill most sports by GA residents.
Since you are legacy you have a back door.
Apply - this is required! If you will not get in but you are committed to GATECH you have a guaranteed transfer with 3.3 GPA after one year.
You need to finish required classes by major (listed on their website) and get something like 30 credits. I would choose the lowest ranked school (local Community College will do it), and get high GPA and transfer.
Look up transfer paths on GATECH website and one for legacies (I see someone provided link for you.)
We explored that option for my DD but she got direct admit from WL.
Gatech does not admit by major but takes it into consideration. They do not want everyone undecided and then all go for CS.
Both CS and IE are very popular.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Do you know how they define Legacy? My parent got master’s degree from GaTech 20 years ago. I am assuming it counts?

That should!
“We define legacy as having a parent, sibling or grandparent who attended Tech or who currently serve as a faculty or staff member .”