Chance Me - NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, UMD, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech

Demographics

International student for OOS Schools (H4 Visa - 11 years in USA)
North Carolina resident
Large, competitive public HS (Wake County)
Asian Female

Intended Major(s)
First Choice: Computer Engineering (CS In UNC Chapel Hill)
Second Choice: Electrical Engineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.93 (2Bs in second semester of junior year from AP Environmental Science and AP Calc BC)
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.54
  • Class Rank: 48/498 (Top 10%)
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1540 SAT (790 math & 750 English)

Coursework:

• 12 APs: AP Euro (10th grade), AP CSP (10th grade), AP Calc AB (11th Grade), AP Calc BC (11th Grade), APES (11th Grade), AP Physics 1 (11th Grade), AP Lang (11th Grade), AP Stats (12th Grade), AP CSA (12th Grade), AP Physics 2 (12th Grade), AP Physics C: Mechanics (12th Grade), AP Spanish (12th Grade)

• 2 Dual Enrollment Classes at CC - Python Programming & Computer Science Fundamentals

• All other classes are honors

Awards

1. Cyberpatriot Platinum Division - Top 25% in state

2. Robotics State Award

3. National Merit Semifinalist

4. Junior Marshal (Top 5% in the middle of junior year)

5. AP Scholar With Distinction

Extracurriculars

My extracurriculars are decent with NCSSM Summer Ventures (Selective free summer program in NC where I did machine learning research at UNCW), state-level leadership in Key Club (District Treasurer of NC & SC) and Vice Chair in Youth Council, Director of Engagement (Vice President Position) & Mechanical Engineer in Robotics Team, Co-Founder of Computer Science Club, CS Intern at one of NC State’s research lab (1 of 35 students selected), Frontend Developer/ Intern @ CS Nonprofit, Teen Board Secretary at local nonprofit where I held clothing drives and fundraised $500

Essays/LORs/Other
LORS : Strong LORs from AP Physics and AP CSA teacher
Essays : My supplemental essays emphasized how robotics and summer ventures developed my interest in engineering and how I hope to pursue research as an undergraduate student along with continuing to engage with community service on campus.

Financial Aid
N/A - Full pay at all schools

Schools

• Safety: UNC Charlotte (Accepted), University of Alabama (Accepted),
  • Likely: Texas A&M (Accepted)
  • Match: NC State (In-state), UNC Chapel(In-state), UMD, Virginia Tech, Ohio State (RD)
  • Reach: Georgia Tech, Purdue (Rejected FYE & Exploratory - Trying to appeal as a stats major), UIUC

The schools that I really want to get into are my in-state colleges - NC State & UNC Chapel Hill - along with Georgia Tech but I am not entirely confident especially since I was rejected from Purdue’s FYE and exploratory major as well so what do you think that my chance are at these schools.

Congratulations, you have some nice acceptances already! I would move UMD to the reach category because of the strength and popularity of its cs program. Also, did you apply early action? That’s the pool from which MD takes most of it students.

1 Like

Thank you! I actually didn’t apply for CS anywhere other than UNC Chapel Hill. My intended major is CE, and I applied to UMD EA with my first choice as Computer Engineering and Second Choice as Applied Math.

1 Like

I think you’ll get in to UMD for CE.
The engineering department has great new facilities. Take a tour if you get a chance.

2 Likes

I think you’ll be a yes for NC State. You look great on paper for UNC-CH but I’m sure you’re aware that it’s a tough admit for everyone (in & out of state), and you’re in Wake County, which is a particularly competitive county for UNC. I think you’ll get the NC State admit and since CE is you’re first choice major anyway, NC State would be the better choice between the two schools.

Virginia Tech fills most of its spots from ED & EA. Did you RD there?

I applied early action almost everywhere including Virginia Tech for its computer engineering major.

1 Like

My daughter is at VT, but not for engineering. It gets tougher to get in there every year, but you look like a great candidate!

Best wishes - I bet you’ll hear from NC State & UNC by the end of this week!

1 Like

NC State is very likely. UNC – I’d say pretty strong chance.

1 Like

Thank you! I certainly hope I get into any of them especially NC State

One thing though for NC State, you probably know this but for First Year Engineering, you have to CODA into your major. So, be careful about submitting your AP scores if they are not 5.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.