Chance me: OR senior, 3.93 GPA, top 2.7% [Cognitive Science or Applied Psychology, first gen, needs full aid, divorced parents]

Thanks in advance for replies!!

Demographics
US Dual citizinship with Tunisia

• Charter School*Unweighted gpa: 3.93
    Weighted gpa: 4.12

Class rank: top 2.7% of class

My race: North African, Tunisian.

Most of my classes have been Honors, which is why my weighted GPA isn’t very high. My high school offers only 6 AP classes, and I was told I couldn’t take thr AP’s unless I took the Honors/standard class first (ex. taking Honors Chemistry before AP). I basically ran out of time, with taking the most important classes in Honors form instead of the AP version. I took all honors classes for my math, except this year which is College-level, all Honors for my Science classes as well, except for this year which is AP, I took my sophomore year of ELA during the summer of my freshman year, just because my dad wanted me to be busy and NOT have fun relaxing. So I finished my ELA credits last year with Honors Literature, and did super well in it. I took a few dual credit courses as well, and I always take way too many electives.

I plan on majoring in Cognitive Sciences or Applied Psychology.

My family’s income is $20,000 yearly, if not a little less, for a five person family, including my chronically ill sister and disabled mother. My parents are divorced, I am a first-generation student, and my dad is an immigrant. Both parents are also not home very much, so I take care of my siblings, cook, as well as shop for us, as well as work in my father’s business, and translate for him. We live on a smaller farm with tons of animals as well, so it’s my sole job to take care of all of them.

I wrote my personal statement about an early-morning walk. It sounds weird, I know. But I did. I am personally never very confident about anything I do, but all the people who have read it told me it was amazing. For my other essay, I haven’t decided on which essay to submit, but the options are A- overcoming my hatred for Winter, or B- changing my opinion about a quote my dad always uses in reference to our family life.

For my activities, I founded/ Co-founded two organizations in Tunisia (I go there a lot), which included a need-based English tutoring organization for poverty-stricken students there, as well as a trash pick-up and bin distribution program, as there are literally no trash bins in Tunisia until recently due to political stuff. It’s very garbagy there.

I also teach Arabic at my local mosque, do work with my father, take part in NHS. I was a Student Gov Senator in my 9th grade, as well as AVID Scholar my 9th grade year.

I mainly draw off of my experiences in Tunisia. I lived there for a while, and it was honestly, very VERY impactful for me, seeing a whole new dimension of the word “poor”. I decided to start studying psychology based off of this as well, as mental health and processes are very taboo in my culture. You only talk about how you feel when you’re crazy.

Anyway, I’m honestly just hyperventilating thinking about all of this. I never thought I’d be able to go to college, because we are pretty poor, especially with my sister and mother’s medical expenses, and just how our family dynamic is. I keep thinking something will come up and I’ll just get rejected from everything I put my heart into.

My goal college was Scripps, but I know it is a stretch. I have no idea what others think of my demographics and situation, so I’m not sure where I stand.

That low income could get full financial aid at the good-financial-aid private colleges, but there are a few difficulties:

1. The good-financial-aid private colleges are typically highly selective and considered reaches for even top-end applicants.
  2. Having divorced parents, a small business, and a farm can complicate financial aid calculations at many colleges. Good-financial-aid private colleges (other than Chicago and usually Vanderbilt) commonly consider both divorced parents’ financials, and small business and farm may be seen by some colleges as indicating a higher level of financial capability.

Scripps requires both divorced parents’ financial information. Its net price calculator is at Net Price Calculator . When using it, be sure to indicate that your parents are divorced, include both of their financial information, and answer the questions relating to small business and/or farm.

Oregon public universities would be worth considering. However, it looks like their financial aid does not cover living on or near campus. so it is likely that only those within commuting distance are affordable. For example, University of Oregon’s NPC estimates and unaffordable $17k for a student from a very low income family living on campus, but an affordable $6k for a student who can commute from living with parents.

Otherwise, you would be aiming for a full ride (or close to it) merit scholarship. The somewhat more common full tuition (or approximate) merit scholarships (such as at forum favorite University of Alabama) would not be sufficient, since non-tuition expenses would be more than about $10k that you could possible cover with a federal direct loan and your part time work earnings during the school year.

Do you have any SAT or ACT score?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

My parents still live together, even when divorced. Since my mom is disabled, she is unable to work, so she makes basically nothing and lives off of my dads income. I can see how that complicates things, though. My dads business is obviously ALMOST dead. It got pretty bad during Covid, and hasn’t really started back up, but as a partner in the business my dad has an obligation to stay and continue trying to squeak by. As for our farm, our animals live off of our property mainly (the fields out back), but I can also see that getting muddled up.

My teacher told me I should try to submit a Questbridge application, which offers a full scholarship for a lot of really good Colleges, but I’m honestly thinking they would be a reach for me. Scripps was one of those colleges.

I didn’t take either the SAT or the ACT, as my mom wouldn’t allow it. I had to go to another location for the tests, and she was scared I would get my sister sick during the time. I know a lot of the colleges are standardized test-optonal.

If your first choice Scripps is in Questbridge, there is no harm in putting in a Questbridge application, since you can rank any number of colleges you want, and if any of them admits you, you will match the one highest on your list. Basically, it is like a multiple ED application.

It is true that the colleges in Questbridge are generally reach for everyone schools, whether you apply to them through Questbridge or their regular admission processes.

7 Likes

However, some of the less selective colleges that offer full ride merit scholarships may require a high enough SAT or ACT score for those scholarships.

1 Like

Questbridge applications are due on 9/26, but if it is possible to apply, please do! I’ve seen Questbridge create amazing possibilities for students- even if they didn’t match right away.

I’d look also for schools that meet demonstrated need without loans. There aren’t many, and even fewer that aren’t Ivies. But Grinnell College comes to mind as one you might want to consider.

3 Likes

Honestly, I feel kind of like I won’t get accepted into ANYTHING at this point, I just don’t have that confidence in myself or the resources, so 15 spots sounds like a good idea to fill lol

I’ve actually been completing it since the beginning of September, so I think I can finish by the deadline. I didn’t know if I had anything that stood out to them though lol

yes, you questbridge.

The lack of rigor and test score may hurt.

There are also some Oregon programs.

Otherwise, you nee to apply to colleges that meet need but most will be need aware and may not want to fully fund you.

You might need to go to a community college because unless you live at home and go to an area school, you’ll need more money for room and board.

Good luck.

Grants to help pay for college | Oregon Goes to College

Here’s Every College That Offers 100% Financial Aid (prepscholar.com)

1 Like

Also consider applying for the Stamps Scholarship at University of Oregon:

Stamps Scholarship | Financial Aid & Scholarships.

It is a full-ride scholarship for tuition, room, and board. Only a few are awarded each year, but you have a chance — focus particularly on the leadership you have exhibited in your volunteer work and on the farm. Leadership is important for that scholarship.

Pay attention to deadlines which are earlier than other UO deadlines.

5 Likes

You’d should definitely do Questbridge, you have nothing to lose. I think you are a much stronger candidate than you are giving yourself credit for.

7 Likes

OP—As GWC noted, the application deadline for QuestBridge is tomorrow. Don’t know much about the QB application, but looks like it involves some supp essays and recommendations. Will you be able to complete in time? Hoping you have some support from your school counselor. Wishing you all the best.

I actually filled out everything on there, so I’ve just been proofreading etc. My teacher recommended me for it last year as she thought I was a senior, but extended the invitation to this year, and she helped me a lot.

5 Likes

Do everything possible to get your QuestBridge application submitted, as I agree that you’re a much stronger candidate than you give yourself credit for.

Did either of your parents graduate from a 4-year college? If not, you would also be considered a first gen student.

I would take a good look at Centre College and two of its scholarships. Centre is part of the Colleges That Change Lives association, a group of small colleges that are very undergraduate-focused. You can read its school profile here, too: Centre College – Colleges That Change Lives.

Lincoln Scholars: Offers a full ride plus additional extras and does not require standardized tests.

High school students who possess a deep desire to improve our world, and the intellect and capacity to do so, should apply.

Competitive Candidates Will Also Demonstrate:
  • Strong character and leadership potential as a change-maker
  • Significant past involvement in personal or extracurricular activities, such as the arts, athletics, community life, service, and paid or unpaid work
  • Persistence and drive to achieve goals
  • Creative problem solving and innovation
  • A GPA that reflects high achievement in challenging coursework
  • Test scores are not required to be considered for the Lincoln Scholars Program

Grissom Scholars: Covers full tuition and students with financial need are eligible to receive more aid to cover their room & board.

Grissom Scholars are required to be first-generation college students, meaning their parents or guardians have not completed a four-year college degree. The program is intended for first-year students who reside in the United States or US citizens who are in high school abroad and who have limited financial resources.

Competitive candidates will also demonstrate:
  • Proven dedication to high academic achievement
  • Strong character and leadership potential
  • Persistence and motivation to achieve goals
  • Creative problem solving and innovation
  • Significant past involvement in extracurricular activities, such as the arts, community life, service, and paid or unpaid work
  • The ambition and intellectual curiosity necessary to succeed in a rigorous academic environment. A student will demonstrate high academic achievement in challenging high school coursework, and be a contributor to their school or local community.
3 Likes

How far would your parents be willing to let you travel away from home?

Everything you do with your family and the animals on the farm counts as an EC+leadership, and working with the trash bags, bins, pick up, littering problems in Tunisia is impressive (urban studies, environmental issues, health issues, policy issues.)

I agree you should apply through Questbridge -
Rank Scripps first, then make sure to include Grinnell (very inclusive environment&they like/understand rural kids’applications); Colby, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Hamilton, Vassar? + the QB women’s colleges.

There’s no risk to you and you’d get a full ride.

Don’t underestimate yourself :hugs:

8 Likes

Thanks for the reply!! I actually am a first gen student, my dad didn’t make it to high school, and my mom got into a college but couldn’t finish due to little old me being born unexpectedly. I’ll definitely look into these scholarship opportunities.

2 Likes

well, my dad would TECHNICALLY let me go anywhere in the US, but the catch is that he wants me to study abroad in Tunisia like right away. He feels better about me being in his home country I guess. But I’m trying to get farther away just to be more independent.

I had most of those on my list, actually, so that’s great. I was shooting for the more realistic ones.

1 Like

I understand your father’s nostalgia, but realistically you’re better off attending college in the US than in Tunisia- the resources and opportunities aren’t the same at all and if you attend college in the US you can access their Career Center and alumni/alumna network so you can get a good job – youth unemployment is about 35% in Tunisia and about 3% in the US, so opportunities simply can’t be compared; with a US degree+internship+alumna/alumni network+career center, you’re better off attending college in the US. So, you can earn more money, become financially independent, and help Tunisia more this way. You can of course study abroad in Tunisia as part of college, for grad school, etc.

5 Likes