Chance Me Please!! COE

I am a senior in high school and nervous about getting into VT College of Eng. My SAT is a 1910 with math 690 (which I know is not the best) and my overall GPA stands at a 4.1. The reason I am worried is because my GPA for freshman year (3.3) brought my average down a lot. For sophomore year, I had a 4.2, junior year, a 4.5, and so far my senior year GPA stands at a 4.8. I took AB calc junior year & got a 5 on my exam and I also took the AP chem exam the same year and got a 4. I am in BC this year & I absolutely love math so I’m hoping for another 5! Also taking 4 APs this year. I was never really involved in sports/ecs because the kids at my school were really harsh and judgmental, but I have around 400 service hours! I wrote all 3 essays-- I thought they were pretty good! I wrote one essay about why my grades were bad freshman year (a death in the family). Also, if this helps-- I am a female, in state & Indian. Thanks so much and I will chance back if I can! Appreciate any feedback! And good luck to anyone receiving their decision on Friday… I am soooo nervous!

if you don’t get in then virginia tech is really raising their standards. not that I think they will kill you, but the two things that could kill you though are being from NOVA (not sure if you are, but it makes it much harder to get in), and not taking AP physics. I know I hate getting my hopes up but you should definitely have higher hopes than most applicants.

I’m hoping to get into pamplin business with a 3.6 GPA unweighted, 3.7 weighted, 590 CR / 650 M / (730 W but of course they don’t take that). I have 3 years varsity ice hockey but my lack of AP’s is what’s going to kill me I think. sucks because VT is my all time dream school.

@thearmadillo I feel you, I am from nova! I hope you get in… the reason I haven’t taken AP physics is because the teacher at my school doesn’t take the class seriously & I also didn’t know I would want to do engineering! but thank you & I genuinely wish you the best for tomorrow! thank you so much for your response :slight_smile:

I can’t speak to the effects of the APs (tho I’m guessing they’ll look pretty good), but the rest of your academic stats look pretty good. I wouldn’t worry about your gpa (they’ll see that you greatly improve, assuming that it is out of 5; if it’s out of closer to 6 it doesn’t look at good - they more care about how many A/Bs you got). You SAT score is midrange, and I would say it’s fine unless you are relying on it. They like to see interaction with life outside of school, which means your lack of sports doesn’t look great, but depending on what volunteering you did that will look really good. Well done essays always help, especially since they explain the worser grades. Unless you are from nova, I’m guessing you have at least a good chance (especially if you put university studies as a secondary major). Post back if you get a response tomorrow (which is when they announce most of the remaining acceptances). If so, it’ll probably be around 5pm (they should post about it on their website).

@ALNyland Thank you! Yes technically we run on a 4.0 scale, but after freshman year all of my grades were As or A+s with the occasional A-! :slight_smile: Thank you for your response! Will definitely respond with what happens!