Chance me, please, Engineering

Class Rank: 17%
SAT: Math 670 Reading 660 (starting private tutoring for strategies for Aug SAT hoping for academic admit)
TX Resident

Taking Calculus AB (would BC be too much for someone with my SAT math?)

AP classes: World History, Lang, Psych, US Govt, US history
4 yrs Rugby and Football
French NHS (20 volunteer hours)
School Service Organization (120 hours)
NHS (25 Service Hours)
Head Lifeguard 2 summers
Volunteer Sunday School Teacher and VBS Leader

Chance for Engineering? Chance for Blinn Engineering Academy? Joining the Corp FWIW

Sending TAMU another SAT score in September. Thank you for your time.

@cataccident

It’s honestly hard to say. You are right on the border, but if you can improve your SAT by perhaps 50-100 points, your chances would increase greatly.

I’ll try to help you with your AB /BC decision. I was a HS math teacher at one point… a couple items to consider: your strength in math fundamentals (how did you do in other courses? not necessarily the SAT). how good is the instructor? it is the same person who teaches AB that teaches BC? Any feedback from former students who was better/ easier to understand? At my children’s hs you can take AB or BC as a senior – one is double math sections, one is single. Pro/con- if the instructor is good - obviously the higher math course would benefit you. Grade wise - your GPA will only affect graduation - college decisions will be made and honestly getting an A,B or C will NOT affect anything. Now a D or an F you will gamble your chances of maintaining admission. Your admission to engineering at TAmu will already be made before your grades senior year are posted.And no, they don’t ask for mid-term grades for freshman – just end of year & you do have to pass the course. Do NOT kid yourself, math at TAMU is tough & competitive.Make sure you have a strong foundation or you will be eaten alive in the math department here. Pick the course with the best instructor - aggressively pursue excellence - seek additional help if needed.

MANY students at TAMU go to tutoring in certain courses ( calculus being one of them ) so keep that in mind. Tutoring is NOT for the awful student only… everyone will be there from the straight A honors kid to the OMG I need to pass this course kid. Good luck on your SAT - please know that ANY math review you spend time on will come back to you in benefits for a good foundation to move forward in the math portion of engineering/ calculus

My kids were both athlete scholars so I think that will serve you well at this school – one was also a bible school leader, again highly respected here. Best of luck, I think your approach of trying to increase your score is wise , Hope you get the bump you need !