Chance me please? - OOS

<p>Details:</p>

<p>Rising Senior at a very competitive high school in Texas which is ranked in the top 40 public schools in the nation.</p>

<p>SAT: 2210 (2230 Superscore)
M- 740
W-770
R-700 (720 for Superscore)</p>

<p>ACT: 34 (actually a 34.25)
E-35
M-32 (Sort of mad since I could have had a 35 composite if I was 1 point higher on M)
R-34
S-36 (Pretty happy about this!)</p>

<p>Both tests can be retaken if you think it would boost my chances by a lot but I would prefer to focus on subject tests (Math II and Biology) ----> suggestions welcome.</p>

<p>GPA (Weighted, 5.0 Scale): 4.62
GPA (Un-Weighted) : 3.3333</p>

<p>AP Classes taken/currently taking:</p>

<p>AP Economics
AP Government
AP Biology - 4
AP Physics
AP Calculus AB
AP Statistics - 4
AP Psychology - 4
AP US History - 3
AP World History - 3
AP English III - 4
AP English IV
AP Environmental Science
AP Computer Science</p>

<p>Other notable classes taken:</p>

<p>3 Years of Language - Spanish
Took IB classes in World Area Studies and Science (Accel.)
Pre-AP/Pre-IB Classes in all core subjects during Freshman/Sophomore Years</p>

<p>Explanation for Low (in my opinion) GPA:</p>

<p>Sophomore year I overloaded on classes taking AP US History, AP Comp Sci., Pre-AP/Pre-IB/Honors Pre-Cal, Pre-AP/Pre-IB Honors Spanish, etc.</p>

<p>Pre-Cal was a struggle and I got a C (only C in my life). It didn't help that I had the same ineffective math teacher for two years in a row (Algebra II in 9th) and I had to learn everything out of the book. Algebra II grade was a B+ but it was also a challenge considering my teacher was very poor at teaching ( She is no longer at my school, I believe she was fired so this could help my case????) and thus my fundamentals going into Pre-Cal were not very strong. I bounced back in AP Stats Junior Year (A+ both semesters) and AP Calculus AB this year has started out great with an A!</p>

<p>Also, as I expected, AP US History was extremely difficult but at the end of the course I did have good grasp on the subject.</p>

<p>Besides the Pre-Cal debacle, I got all A's and B's in sophomore year with a great improvement in grades junior year so Upward trending.</p>

<p>ECs:</p>

<p>Engineering Club Member for 3 years - no leadership positions but I did have steady commitment and participation in</p>

<p>Chess Club - Played in state tournaments as well as regional ones; USCF Member</p>

<p>Piano - Played for over 7 years now; many recitals and performances as well as great scores on music theory exams and a progression through the levels of examination</p>

<p>Tennis - Had training lessons every weekend for about 2 years. I now play 3-6 hours every weekend so still committed.
Participated in 4-5 Regional Tournaments (ZAT) and reached the Semi-Finals twice!</p>

<p>100+ Hours of Volunteering at 2 Different Local Hospitals - had a more in depth experience my junior year as I was in the OR wing and had consistent exposure, experience and participation. Was more like a internship my junior year as I was an integral part of the Sterile Processing Branch and I learned so much about hospital protocol, surgery, etc.</p>

<p>Leader of my community's local Math Pentathlon Program - 4 years (all of high school)</p>

<p>Led about 80 kids every year; taught math based games for grades K-5; each year we did very well in the final tournament for Texas. Also developed strong relationships with many parents and overall made a positive impact.</p>

<p>Academic Awards:</p>

<p>Kumon J200 Math and J200 Reading Awards</p>

<p>High School Honor Roll/Academic Excellence Award</p>

<p>AP Scholar with Distinction Award</p>

<p>Work/Hobby:</p>

<p>I run my own online business and have been doing so for about 2 years. I have served customers in over 20 different countries around the world. Learned a lot about dealing with people from different cultures/countries and about business principles such as profit, opportunity cost, revenue, and markets, etc.Overall a good experience and something different and unique.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Special Circumstances: From 1st to 4th grade, my mother fell terribly ill and ultimately needed to have open heart surgery to replace 2 of her heart valves. My brother was barely one year old at the time so my father took care of him almost exclusively obviously. As a young child throughout elementary school not being able to ask your mom to do even the basic things was very hard and I had to learn to be independent and self-sufficient at a young age. Also, the confusion that I felt over what was going on was very strong. Overall, I believe this experience led to my passion in Medicine/Biomedical Science (other factors did contribute as well).</p>

<p>Sorry if the post was a bit much to read but that is pretty much everything I can think of. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>You GPA is a little bit low but your test score is good. Purdue should be a match.</p>