Chance me please?

Hello Everyone! I hope you are all having a good day! I really want to get into the Dwight Look College of Engineering for Civil Engineering. I know I’ll be a review candidate (unless I get the 1300 CR+M score) and I just wanted to know my chances for that particular pool. I already applied on 9/19 and got my UIN, I’m just waiting on the decision now. Having seen some other people’s stats on CC for Dwight Look, it seems close to impossible but I’d like to know if I have any chance. Thank you for your help!

Residence: In State

Race: African American

GPA: 3.76-3.8 (UW) 4.1-4.2 (W) (mostly A’s and B’s)

SAT: (CR+M= 1280) Total: 1890 (CR: 680, M: 600, W: 610) Taking it again on 10/3

ACT: Taking in October

AP Classes: World History, English Lang., Statistics, US History, Biology, Government, Economics

Essays: Pretty decent

ECs: Part of the HS soccer team for 4 years (JV 1 year, Varsity 3 years) and I’m also Varsity captain (would that count as leadership?)

Part of a travel soccer team for 5 years

Acolyte at my church

A member of my school’s NHS

Employee at a local restaurant

Awards/honors: 2nd Team All district 2013/2014, Offensive MVP for school 2013/2014, 1st Team All District 2014/2015, Offensive MVP for school 2014/2015

Do they look at GPA or is it strictly rank and test scores? Also when can I expect a decision to be made?

You are so very close on your SAT! I think you’ll get in on review.

Worst case you’ll be offered one of the many alternate routes into Engineering (Blinn or Engineering academies).

Make it easy on yourself and get the extra 20 points or get the ACT score. As soon as the score gets there, if you qualify for academic admit, you’ll get in.

I would think your chances are good, but with engineering timing has to be taken into consideration.

I would recommend having your scores sent directly so that if you qualify for academic admission it will happen quickly before engineering reaches 85% full. At that point all applicants who are admitted to Texas A&M and have listed engineering majors as their 1st and 2nd choices are placed in “engineering review”. Some of these students are offered full admission, others are offered Blinn Engineering Academy or the opportunity to change their major.

Please note that if your want to be considered for engineering after the 85% full point is reached BOTH OF YOUR MAJORS MUST BE ENGINEERING. Otherwise you will be admitted and placed into your second choice major. Last year this 85 %full point was reached in early November.

Good luck on you SAT and ACT!

good luck on your exam tomorrow & your ACT - review more math, you’re going to need it for engineering anyhow- try Khan Academy online for free. Admissions looks at your rank & school profile (sent from HS with your transcripts) in review, not your GPA. Yes, athletics leadership (captain) is leadership :slight_smile:

Reviews for engineering majors are done prior to mid-January because you have to be admitted to the university to be eligible to compete for the major’s last 15% of slots in engineering review. Yes, you get to be reviewed twice - once for the university admission and a second time for engineering major selection. They are independent of each other, normally results for engineering review are mid to late January. Good luck!

@gettingschooled thank you for the reply! One question though, if I do go the Blinn/Engineering academy route, will I be able to switch into the COE at a later date?

@Bluemoon3 Thanks for the advice! I think I will go ahead and have the scores sent directly. If my SAT score is lower than the 1st one, will that hinder my chances?

@AGmomx2 thank you for the information! I’m going to take your advice and try Khan Academy.

My understanding is that a lower score will not count against you but you can confirm with a rep in the admissions office.

Also in regards to both major choices being engineering please realize that if you have not been admitted at the time engineering is at 85% you can not change either major choice to engineering at that point. Last year applicants who tried to switch after this point in time in got the message that engineering was full as a major (even as a second choice). Best to go in with both majors in engineering.

Ya I went with both majors as engineering. Thank you for the info! @Bluemoon3

I am not sure I understand your question to me, but the point of the Blinn/Engineering academy is to facilitate (but not guarantee) admission to college of engineering.

http://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/blinn-bryan

Oh ok I understand now, thank you for the clarification! @gettingschooled

Update: Offered Engineering Academy a few weeks ago

Congrats! Looks like you have several options open to you. If you want an engineering degree from TAMU this is a great opportunity.

Thank you for your help early on! @Bluemoon3