Chance me please

Hello! It’s the brink of getting your college decision and I would like to know where I stand. Be as descriptive as possible! Thanks a lot for reading and reviewing.
-Texas A&M (main goal) (Chem E)(Visited)
Scores
GPA UW: 3.25 W:3.65 Ranking: 120/651 ~ 18% (Top Quarter)
SAT: 1130 Math: 620 English: 510
Application Documents
All school have essays A and B
2 teacher recommendation
Resume
Activity
Football, powerlifting (been doing these all 4 years)
Honors
-Varisty football -Honor Roll through out all of high school -Academic All district at a 6-A school
Coursework (took almost all Pre-AP classes but these are my APs)
US History
Chemistry
Language and Composition
Government/Economics
Computer Maintenance ( Application based class)
Other Information
Hispanic Male
Texas resident
Showed interest mostly to A&M
Maintained a job over the summer
Thanks a lot! I visited A&M and loved it so much, it is my dream school! I really want to everything wrong or right on my “resume” thanks again!

Hi,
I applied to Mays at A&M (still being reviewed), however, I know a bunch of people (guys specifically) in Engineering. I’m going to be totally honest here–you have a good class rank, but your SAT is really low compared to others in engineering. I’d also have to mention that your gpa is decent, but not great (they’re looking for the best of the best, so students close to or above a 4.0). I know this sounds discouraging, but I know how difficult it is to get into that school and specific major. You’re trying to get into one of the top engineering schools–you can just be pretty good at math and get in. That being said, they still accept a few people who have lower test scores & gpa.

My sister applied to engineering last year (class of 2020) and didn’t make it into the main university. She had an above 4.0 gpa, 29 on her act, top quarter (25%), over 20 college credit hours, really strong essays, over 150 volunteer hours, and other extracurriculars. She was accepted into TAMU at Galveston, but decided she didn’t want to go there.

I’d stay hopeful, because maybe you have an essay that’s really powerful or something stands out in your app. Best of luck!

*can’t just be pretty good at math and get in.

@mollykdolan Thanks a lot for your suggestion!! Yeah I truly understand that Engineering at A&M is amongst one of the most competitive major! But is it possible if I get accepted in A&M than switch major if I don’t accepted (to my major)? I might do General studies than decide, most of my thoughts were mostly engineering. I have to agree with you, based on what I heard from previous applicants, some most fitted students get rejected to engineering such example as your sister. But I guess it’s the try that gives it worth? Beside from that, you believe I have a shot at A&M in general? Thanks a lot for your response and suggestion!

Yes there’s a high chance that if you don’t get into engineering, you’ll get your second choice major! Considering you’re top quarter, have taken a lot of AP classes, and are involved in athletics, I think you have a good shot of getting into the school. And if you do get into TAMU General studies (or whatever you decide on), there’s also the possibility of transferring into engineering sophomore year (or whenever you’re allowed to). Although extremely tough, there’s still a chance! I’m hoping that if I don’t make it into Business, I at least get into my second choice major - communication (in the liberal arts school). Keep us updated on if you get in! I know that final admission letters come mid February, so not too much longer!

@mollykdolan Thanks a lot for you suggestion! You are incredibly motivative and encouraging! Best of luck to you!