Chance me please!

<p>Chance a brother at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, UPENN, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, Duke, William and Mary, Brown</p>

<p>Okey dokes so I got a 2010 (640 R, 700 M, 670 W) on my SAT's, Lots of A.P/Honor Classes but a 3.4 unweighted GPA a... top 20% class
-National Achievement Finalist
-President Philosophy Club
-National Honor Society
-All Academic Team Ohio,
-Captain Men's Volleyball team,
-Junior Olympic Men's Volleyball player,
-God, Flag, Country Speech winner; invitee to state tournament,
-Junior Council in World Affairs; placed 13th in regional 2006; placed 5th 2007,
-Selected as a mentor for the DARE program sophomore and junior years,
-Student Leader on Tobacco Effects- invited to research the effects of tobacco,
-Publication in Literary Magazine
-Ski Club
-Rock climbing club
-Muse Machine
-Math Club
-Spanish Club
-Art Club
-Dedicated Individuals Rebuilding Tomorrow Today
-Volunteering at Hospital 70 hrs
-Interning with Infection Control Practitioner 130 hrs
-Volunteered at a Sudanese Aide Project in Khartoum Sudan for 1 month this past summer</p>

<p>With a 3.4 gpa, your chance for most of those schools is very slim. What is your safety school? Not trying to be mean at all, but I've seen urms with a 3.7 gpa get deferred/rejected despite having 2200+ SAT scores. </p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>I would say chances are good at Cornell, Dartmouth, and maybe Penn. But for all the rest, I'm going to agree with you'llsee...</p>

<p>Your going to have a hard chance getting into Harvard, Yale, Princeton,Columbia and Penn. However the other schools are still reaches, but I wouldn't be suprised if you got in. How come you don't have any safeties or targets?</p>

<p>Yea, I'm wondering the same thing. At least a state school. Umm, agood target that I could think of for you would be BC. I think that would of been a great choice for you!</p>

<p>Because you are black, you have a good shot at William and Mary. If you were white....not so much.</p>

<p>Good luck,
Pedsox</p>

<p>I hope you can get into all of your schools. If you have an interesting story that can captivate the Admission Committee, then your scores should not matter. But still, your SAT scores are in the 98+ percentile of African-American students. As a black student you are really only in competition with other black students. So, good luck! I too am applying to Dartmouth and Princeton and I only have a 1860, which puts me in the 95 percentile.</p>

<p>Why would you apply to ALL eight Ivies? They are all extremely different and there's no possible way you could have fallen in love with all of them. Instead of chasing a school that is very well known you should have made more of an effort to find schools that are a good fit for you.</p>

<p>You applied to 11 schools that are reaches for everyone so probability says that there's a chance you'll get into a few. I hope you applied to a few safeties and matches though just in case.</p>

<p>Where are you getting the SAT percentiles for African Americans? You state that a 2010 is in th 98th percentile, and 1860 is in the 95th percentile. Can you provide a source?</p>

<p>What do you mean, african americans are only in competition with other african americans? Where have you heard this?</p>

<p>Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Brown are close to a crap-shoot for any candidate; your chances would be better w/ a stronger gpa, but 3.4 unweighted could be good enough to get you through.</p>

<p>"Where are you getting the SAT percentiles for African Americans? You state that a 2010 is in th 98th percentile, and 1860 is in the 95th percentile. Can you provide a source?"</p>

<p>I know of no source for composite scores. These are for individual section scores.
<a href="http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat_percentile_ranks_2008_cr_m_w_gender_ethnic_groups.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat_percentile_ranks_2008_cr_m_w_gender_ethnic_groups.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Go to collegeboard.com, 2010 would be 99+</p>

<p>^ You see composite scores with percentiles for AA's? Which report? Or are you adding the subscales? There was once a debate hereabout whether that was a valid approach. The ones for test scores by ethnicity are linked in my post above.</p>

<p>Your GPA and class rank are low for all of the schools that you mention. Often times you will see a wink on the SAT scores, but from what I have seen (and trust me I have seen a lot of applications) most students usually have very high GPAs/rank.</p>

<p>While yoy have been involved in a lot of activities, it simply looks as if you have a laundry list of activities, with no sustained length of time in any of them . In addition, it does not show that you have grown or taken on any leadership positions in any of them (yes, quality matters more than quantity).</p>

<p>I see that you were on a team. Were you recruitment eligible?</p>

<p>If these are the only schools that you have applied to your list is very top heavy.</p>

<p>However, you have tossed in your application so it does not make sense to ask about chances at this stage of the game because what ever is going to happen is going to happen and there is nothing you can do unless you are waitlisted.</p>

<p>good luck.</p>

<p>Question...</p>

<p>Does your gpa represent an upward trend or have your grades been consistent throughout the past 3.5 years?</p>

<p>If there was a "slip' in your grades, did your counselor address it in your evaluation?</p>