• Other special factors : father went to graduate school

Mechanical Engineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores.

• Unweighted HS GPA: unsure

• Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.4on 4.0 scale

• Class Rank: 3 of 249

• ACT/SAT Scores: 1500 710 reading and 790 Math

Coursework

• AP Human Geography, AP Chem, AP World History, AP Physics 1, AP Calc AB, IB Spanish SL, AP Comp ScI A, AP Physics C, AP Calc BC, AP Gov, AP Economics, AP Eng Lang, AP Bio, AP Stats, DE Circuit Analysis, DE Programming C ++, AP Spanish V, rest of classes are at Honors level except PE, Guitar and Piano. All 4’s and 5’s on AP exams except AP comp Sci A, AP Lang and AP Gov.

All science and math classes have A’s and A pluses.

National Hispanic Recognition Program, NHS, AP Scholar with distinction, Science Olympiads, Mathletes, 80 volunteer hours coaching and tutoring, paid job, varsity XC and Track. Club soccer.

Essay I worked on and wrote about my experience in Science Olympiads and how it developed my interest in Engineering. I spent 4 months on it but I am not a strong writer.

I feel like my LOR should be great from Physics teacher. I am not sure about counselor because I have only met him once since I moved to my current school during covid.

Not overly concerned about cost.

Awards

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach

I think you are a strong applicant for all three of these schools.

Wish I could figure out how to edit my post. It somehow cut the part out that my dad went to Northeastern for grad school.

You should have a good chance at all three. Your objective metrics are stronger than my daughter’s, who recently graduated as a Purdue MechE.

1 Like

I agree all three but hopefully you have a safety such as your state flagship. But it’s likely not needed. Good luck.

1 Like

Congratulations on your achievements.

Did you get these 3 apps in for EA? If so, I agree with the above. If RD, less predictable. Good luck

2 Likes

Thank you! I did get in all 3 by Nov 1.

3 Likes

Have some backups but don’t be surprised if accepted by all 3… Good luck.

northeastern does not really count legacy in their admissions.

Good info. Learn new stuff every day. Here’s an unofficial source confirming this - can’t find this on their website at all.

Not a direct answer to your question, but you might want to keep an eye on that thread: College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022 - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums

1 Like

@DHark northeastern typically offers pretty substantial NHP scholarships up to $30k but not always that amount .

1 Like

Purdue University has a “Data Digest” with useful information, here: https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/. The link for “Applications, Admits, and Matriculations” is interactive and you can use your own personal information to see how you compare with other applicants to Purdue’s COE over the past few years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.