Chance Me: Rising senior wanting to get into target schools for finance or accounting [IL resident, 3.5/1490]

Miami of Ohio would be a good target. Lots of merit money not sure about how they do for need based money on top of merit, but worth looking into.

There are schools that will meet 100% of need and your first generation hook could help you are well.

I would respectfully suggest you move off the prestige type schools you are primarily focused on and do some research and find school who will either give you huge merit awards, or schools that will meet 100% of need.

I think UIC will only be affordable as a commuting student (not sure we know that’s an option yet).

No Illinois Promise at other schools AFAIK. Some of the state schools give extra discounts for CPS students, and things of that nature. Hopefully OP will clarify if any of the Illinois 4 year publics are within commuting distance.

I do think UIUC is likely the best financial option (need EFC 0 for Promise and the full ride, Commitment is full tuition), but Gies is a reach for OP now. Other major options where OP has a greater chance of admission include DGS (UIUC’s undeclared option as I noted earlier) or the financial planning major in ACES.

2 Likes

ohhhhhhh - it’s not a state program good at any public?

I missed that. Thanks for clarifying.

Agree - Gies is tough.

Thanks for clarifying.

Thoughts on QB - the GPA a concern?

Knowing many of the schools don’t mean the “major” requirement but some do.

Unfortunately, Ill Promise and Commitment are only at UIUC. Our state legislators haven’t realized it is difficult for students to get into many UIUC majors.

Questbridge could be an option. Agree the GPA is on the low end for QB. You are right that not many QB partners offer finance or accounting majors. If OP is interested in QB, I encourage them to complete the app before school starts
it’s involved and due Sept 26.

https://www.questbridge.org/high-school-students/national-college-match/who-should-apply

No, the OP’s heading says Illinois resident

You may want to look at schools with honors colleges, which sometimes offer generous financial awards in addition to priority for class registration, research opportunities and access to professors. We know people who got very healthy aid from THE Ohio State’s honors program.

On a different note, research whether you get admitted directly into your desired concentration when you apply to B-schools. I know some schools (PSU comes to mind) where you are admitted to the B-school, but you do not get placed in your concentration until after freshman year. When my nephew went there, the dean made clear that everyone wants finance but there were not enough slots, so only the top x students in each class get it.

If you are in IL, you should focus on UIUC. It is very strong in acctg and respectable in finance.

I am an Illinois resident idk why it was saying Indiana but I think I’m an auto admit for Kelly with my gpa and sat. I ran a NPC and it’s $50k a year so probably not a plausible option from a financial prespective.

2 Likes

I agree I was thinking about attending a school like UIC keeping a high gpa and getting more experience in the field and the transferring to one of the reaches I have on my list.

I got a 1500 on NMSQT so I think I have a chance at it but there were also 3 people in my class who got 1520/1520 but I definitely think I can.

1 Like

Financially I’m in a really peculiar position because both my parents are retired and a majority of that $35k income comes from rent from 2 homes that they own I don’t know how much effect them being retired will be on fafsa but I think I can appeal some financial aid offers and explain my families situation and how it would be detrimental if they were to sell a home to pay for my college.

Check your selection index score, Illinois’ is projected to be 219 for NMSF: National Merit Semifinalist Cutoffs Class of 2025

If you get NMF, you will have some low cost options, like U Alabama.

This will complicate things financially speaking, and make some of the NPCs inaccurate. Both rental homes will have to be reported on FAFSA. I also think these assets are likely to disqualify you for Illinois Promise or Commitment aid at UIUC. I don’t know if you can appeal those. You can cross that bridge if and when you get there.

2 Likes

They’re retired but likely not living on 35k so they likely have substantial assets.

It doesn’t matter what anyone else in your class got; all that matters is whether your Selection Index is above the threshold for the whole state.

This is a very significant thing to determine, in your situation. Your parents’ assets will make some “full need met” schools unaffordable with need-based aid, depending on that particular school’s formula. (As already stated, you really need to run the NPC projections for all schools you are considering, as a first filter, but even that may be less accurate because of the real estate situation.) If you are NMSF, you will have some good full-ride options that won’t be affected by need calculations. For example, U of Tulsa, which treats its many National Merit Scholars very well, and has both accounting and finance undergrad majors in its business school.

5 Likes

This site suggests other publics (beyond UNC and UVa) meet need (including UMich), and a smaller group are need blind in admissions:

Is it wrong?

Yes. I have found prepscholar to be among the less reliable online sources. Their information is often incomplete, inaccurate, or obsolete.

Umich only meets full need for their in state applicants.

And a very large group of schools (especially public schools) are need blind. That does not necessarily mean they meet full need.

2 Likes

There are many more than 115 need blind for admission colleges in the US. But most do not give good financial aid.

1 Like

If you haven’t done so, check out the Common Data Sets for schools that you are considering. Section C7 tells you how different academic and non-academic admissions factors are weighted by a school; Sections C9-C11 give objective information for recently matriculated students, which may in turn give you a crude estimate of how you compare with them for admissions purposes. For example, some schools give more weight to standardized test scores than GPA; some schools give more weight to GPA than standardized test scores; some give equal weight; and so forth, as reflected in Section C7.

You might want to have a conversation with your high school guidance counselor, who may be able to tell you about the track record for your high school of getting kids into the schools that you mention, and what your chances might be given that history.

There’s a lot more than 115 need blind colleges - i.e. they don’t factor need into an admission decision. Every public in fact - I believe.

That’s different metric altogether than a meets need school.

Michigan does - for Michigan students. UNC/UVA are the only two in the nation that meet need for all students.

You’re article is a different list
here is a list of schools that meet need. Of course you use a third party there will be potentially outdated or incorrect data. But your article was simply saying that a school doesn’t factor your financial status in making an admissions decision. Tuft and Lafayette, as an example, are need aware but promise to meet the need of those they accept - so they wouldn’t be on your list. But would be on mine - if that makes sense. Why? They might say - we’d love to accept this student- but it would cost us $75K and we’re not willing to make that investment - where a Harvard wouldn’t tie the financial status into the admission decision at all.

Thanks

Here’s Every College That Offers 100% Financial Aid (prepscholar.com)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.