Chance me SBU 2026 honors program

note: weak extracurriculars due to lack of opportunities in both my school and my area, as well as geographical constraints, mentioned this in additional info

demographics

• race/ethnicity: asian
  • residence: new york
  • intended major: biochemistry, minor in bioengineering
  • income bracket: will apply for aid
  • type of school: small private high school (<100), not competitive at all, sends most students to state schools or community college, average 2-3 SBU acceptances a year
  • hooks: first-gen, geographic

academics

• weighed GPA: 5.32 on a scale of 6
  • unweighed GPA: 4.0/4.0
  • class size: <20
  • ranking: no rank but currently in consideration for val/sal
  • senior year courseload: 6 APs, 1 DE class, 5 honors classes, 1 regular class

standardized testing

• SAT: 1550 (770ebrw, 780math) second highest SAT score in graduating class, school has low average SAT scores
  • ACT: didnt take
  • SAT subject tests: canceled
  • regents: algebra I + english + earth science + biology (>90), geometry (<90) will retake, all other regents were omitted due to COVID
  • APs (5 total): 5s on AP englang, englit, seminar, apush; 4 on apcsp
  • college classes: all A’s in DE macro, DE micro, DE psych (* early college program at nearby CC (10-12th)

extracurriculars:

• school newspaper founder and editor (11-12th)
  • debate club founder and president (10-12th)
  • girls track team founder and co-captain (9th, 12th)
  • [redacted] religious club instructor (11-12th, heavy time commitment)
  • [redacted] medical care private clinic intern (12th)
  • intro to neuroscience media in the capstone paper on brain wiring in mammals
  • math and arabic tutor (9-11th grade, heavy time commitment)
  • [redacted] school spirit national tournament competitor (9, 10, 12)
  • saturday/sunday school teacher at nearest mosque (11th-12th)
  • psychology club (10th)

awards

• AP scholar with recognition
  • questbridge college prep scholar + award for excellence in STEM recipient
  • honor roll (3x, not including senior year)
  • national environmental essay contest winner 1st place
  • speech competition (2x 1st place winner) (9th, 10th)

letters of recommendation

• APUSH teacher (10/10): strong writer, he was our instructor for debate club, had fairly good relationship with him
  • philosophy teacher (9/10): has known me for a very long time and he is the leader of a lot of the more religious extracurriculars i am involved in, requested my help as instructor
  • physics teacher (7/10): praises my work ethic and motivation and mindset as a student but extremely old and not a very good writer
  • high school counselor (8/10): very fond of me

essays

• common app essay: currently ongoing, unique approach where i use detailed imagery to separate the different parts of the day to describe different parts of my personality and what i have learned from them
  • sbu supplemental this is the essay where you have to explain your experience in a particular extracurricular, i chose to talk about my experience in an introduction to neuroscience media in the capstone project course to explore my interests in STEM and how difficult it was for me, but i was able to motivate myself to move forward

also: i submitted common app on january 4, and SBU downloaded my application on the 5th but have not received any confirmation letter, should i be worried? i also applied for honors college and i need access to my portal to write my honors supplemental.

you have a competitive profile. you should hear from them regarding admissions. First regular undergrad and then Honors. It is in phases.

Curious to know how you showed demonstrated interest? Did you visit SBU?

for demonstrated interest, i signed up to visit their campus virtually (not in person because of COVID concerns) and also signed up for several of their online webinars on admissions and different topics.

1 Like

All the best for SBU Honors!