Chance me Texas A&M engineering

okay so a lot of my friends are getting acceptances for a&m engineering and mine still says under review… please chance me

intended major: computer engineering
GPA: (unweighted) 3.71
coursework: 13 APs (WHAP, APUSH, AP GOV, AP Lit, AP Calc BC, AP Chem, AP Bio, AP Psych, AP Human Geo, AP Comp Sci Principles, AP Comp Sci, AP Microeconomics, AP Spanish 4) and 5 Honors classes

SAT: 1480

extracurriculars: student council (class rep.), 7-day 6-night international volunteer trip, honor societies (math, art, history, science), python tutor, co-founder and historian of Bollywood club in school, dear asian youth (local county exec treasurer), MUN (1 year)

1 Like

are you in the top 10% of your class?

If not, it’s unknown - but they have satellite campuses and as another poster always reminds, A&M is a pre admit so you might want to factor in that even getting in doesn’t mean you’ll be able to study what you want.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’m not top 10%. But that’s the thing everyone who applies to engineering is put into general engineering in first year so it doesn’t matter ab getting the major but more or so getting in.

I mean for now my problem is getting into a&m and getting my choice of engineering is a problem for later

1 Like

@sk1234567 whats your class rank? If not close to Top 10%, you might expect to get an ‘offer’-one of the Engineering academies, go to Galveston campus for a year, TEAB, etc. I would definitely research the various pathways to get in, there are many for Engineering at TAMU.
When did you apply? SAT is good, but rank is probably holding you back. Do you have all 5s for AP?

While getting your choice of engineering is a problem for later, it’s good to go into it with eyes wide open. TAMU has a reputation for being one of the (if not the #1) hardest places to get into computer science or computer engineering as part of secondary admission to major.

If you don’t earn a 3.75 GPA, you will have a hard time getting into computer engineering there. Maintaining a 3.75 while taking those freshman classes is really hard to do – much harder than it is in high school.

Of the TAMU students who had computer engineering as their 1st choice of major, only 65% of them were actually admitted to that major. Part of this is that computer engineering is usually the 2nd choice for students who list computer science as their 1st choice (which is even more competitive).

Ask yourself how you feel about only having a 65% chance of being able to study computer engineering, and you can decide if TAMU is the right place for you.

Here are the most recent ETAM stats I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Are you in Texas? How large is your high school? Also, did you visit the campus, fill out all of the essays (even the optional essays), have you emailed your admission advisor etc. I know that A&M is very high on demonstrated interest.
Lastly, the friends that have been accepted are they of different cultures, women, under-served communities. Having a well-rounded class is important as well to the school.

@bluedog23 Agree about going on official campus tour, attending Aggieland Saturday, etc. that can definitely help. A&M likes to see internet shown.

@ColdWombat yes, Aero & Comp Sci are the 2 most competitive Eng majors at TAMU. Must have a 3.75…which isn’t easy.

1 Like

Good luck and I think you have a great chance getting in. The whole auto admission policy in Texas is a mess.

2 Likes

I got mostly 4s on my AP exams

I am an in-state student, and my high school is big and known to be one of the hardest in the state.

1 Like

Also I’m around top 27% of the class. I applied early September and still haven’t heard from them yet. My friends are of the same ethnicity and gender. She applied for computer science and had submitted her application in October right before the early action deadline. As far as I know she has a slightly better rank than me but her sat scores are lower and she has decent extracurriculares like me. But she got into general engineering last week. I have a feeling that I’m going to get rejected :frowning:

@sk1234567 your SAT is good, but rank isn’t what A&M wants to see, and clarify ‘mostly 4s’ on AP exams (did you get any 5s, were the rest 3s?). A&M wants to see you can handle class rigor. Very few get out right ‘rejected’-usually that’s when an application is incomplete or core classes for graduation haven’t been taken. If you don’t get full acceptance, I feel certain you’ll be offered a ‘pathway’. You need to be familiar with the various Engineering pathways, as there are many, and several are amazing, offering much smaller classes, access to sports pass, and more.
The bulk of holistic reviews haven’t heard back yet, and won’t until January-March…that is stated on TAMU website.

1 Like

Wdym by OOS? Also does this mean I have no chance for engineering at college station?

1 Like

Sorry about OOS, it was a typo.
I’m not an admissions person, just a mom who has seen many friends and others try to get into Engineering. The various pathways are great alternatives, IF you aren’t accepted with full admission. Every holistic student needs to be familiar with them.
Again, the majority of holistic reviews won’t be coming out until January-March.

1 Like

Did you apply EA?
Is your application complete & in review? Meaning, there aren’t any :x: by something that didn’t get submitted?

Yes I did.
It says my app is complete and in review.

1 Like

1 Like

I submitted all the documents needed for admission. They have green check marks next to them.

1 Like

I would not worry about getting into engineering since you are in-state; whether it is main campus or another satellite. Your friend is a female and I do know many schools are prioritizing women in stem… could be why she has already been accepted.
Did you apply for honors? What about demonstrated interest?