Chance me Texas A&M engineering

I mean I showed my interest through my essays. I talked about various clubs I would want to join and how I would want to be part of A&Ms intensive research program. (Also I forgot to preface this, I’m female, just turned 16 years old, and I’m Asian) I applied for the scholarship and stuff, but still in the process of applying to honors.

92% of A&M students rank in the top quarter so at 27% your odds are slim. If not A&M there’s satellite. There’s Tech, UH and more. And they’re all very solid.

You’d also score big $$ OOS.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I think when he asks about ‘demonstrated interest’, he means did you take an official campus tour, attend Aggieland Saturday, tour Engineering dept, have you met with a TAMU regional officer? Those are things that A&M likes to see, if not auto admit.
Holistic applicants definitely need to have back up plans…that’s any school where they aren’t auto admit.
Hang in there! Read up on the A&M pathway links I gave you. Hopefully you have other acceptances, so you’ve got options, once you hear back from A&M.

1 Like

Showing interest through essays is fine, but not doing all of the essays… even the optional ones for honors… does not show enough interest. I am not sure how many people apply to A&M, maybe 50,000… I am sure someone knows? It is easy to apply for many colleges through common app… kids not in the top 10% that get in really spend time on campus, emailing the regional rep, etc.
Is this your number 1 school? If so, it might make sense to reach out now and express your interest.

1 Like

I thought A&M now is only sending auto admits. They are pretty quick sending packages out. We sent in the last minute on 12/1 and already received the package yesterday. I heard the holistic decision won’t be out until at least January. Good luck!

@sk1234567 there is a well established thread, for those who have applied for c/o ‘27. Might be helpful to jump on that thread.

@everestgrp What ‘package’ are you taking about-the acceptance banner? Wow, waiting until 12/1? Is there a reason you/your student waited so long to apply?
Some holistic candidates have received acceptance already-high test scores & high rank.

1 Like

I applied before oct 15, and it states whatever app qualifies for early action the decision will be out by mid-December.

I agree with @tsbna44. Pinning your hopes on just one university is too risky a strategy. There are many OOS schools such as U of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) & Iowa State where you’d be easily admitted with automatic merit scholarships that would make these equal to or cheaper than TAMU Cost of Attendance (COA). The application for Iowa State, which is a good engg. school, for example, literally takes 5 minutes to fill out with immediate admittance based on a formula. I would highly encourage you to explore other in-state and OOS options - the difference in education may only be marginal. My son also applied to TAMU in Sept and is in the same boat with a 2nd quartile class rank, but we are not unduly concerned as he already has admits from universities that are as good as TAMU for either engineering or business.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: few agree with me so I appreciate it.

I would not necessarily think the difference in education is marginal. Well maybe bcuz two can’t be alike but it doesn’t make A&M better per se. maybe Iowa State has better education than A&M. think everyone is pedigree driven and that’s where they freak.

All I know is my son is at Bama. I’m paying about $4k a year tuition OOS and he’s interviewed with 18 or 20 companies and has three offers with at least one more coming and all are in the low / mid 70s base plus other monies which is the same as higher tier schools.

Getting an internship is key - not whether you go to A&M, Iowa State, Lamar, or Auburn , etc. companies want to see ABET certified and experience. Have those two things and the path to success is easier.

That’s overrated big time that mindset.

3 Likes

I have not only applied to A&M. I have gotten accepted into other in-state schools. But this school is my top choice as it is closer to home and great for engineering. Although I appreciate info about OOS schools I’d much rather stay in TX.

Well lucky for you there’s great ones !!! Congrats on your acceptances.

3 Likes

@tsbna44 following your responses on CC over the past 11 months have allowed my son and I to craft an appropriate college application strategy. We would not have thought of applying to Bama otherwise. To me, doing your homework with thorough research is key. If you look at the publicly available job placement data from various departments at large flagship public universities, the outcomes are not very different. It is really up to the student to make the best use of resources available at a large flagship public university - and these are by and large, fairly similar. Internships, I agree, are key and most of these are student driven outcomes and not necessarily because of the university. Unless you are specifically aiming for pedigree related jobs such as MBB in consulting or Investment Banking, the pedigree of the school is not very important.

FWIW, to me it’s just crazy that with your stats (3.71 UW, 1480 SAT and 13 APs), you still don’t have admittance to A&M and have to consider alternate routes such as Galveston, Blinn etc. These stats would easily get you into Pitt or Penn State or Rutgers, which, with all due respect to Aggie fans, are as good as A&M by any methodology (USNWR rankings, placement outcomes etc)

2 Likes

Lol. It’s crazy to believe A&M was one of my safety schools. This whole process is making me lose my self confidence

@sk1234567 easy for me to say, but don’t lose confidence. You’ve already got offers from other schools, so that’s awesome!
I consider a ‘safety’ school one where student has auto admission. A&M is only a ‘safety’ for those in state Top 10% students, just like UT at 6%. And even then-both schools-you aren’t guaranteed your major.
The majority of A&M holistic reviews won’t come out until January…so hang on!

I don’t know how at 27% rank it could be a safety when the top 10% are guaranteed.

That’s not to take your confidence away but this goes to having a balanced list - which you did as you got into some already.

I would say A&M is a reach - and that’s ok - it’s good to reach.

You really would have many opportunities. Wanting to stay close to home is ok and hopefully you did a UH, UTD, a private, etc.

It’ll be ok - you will make your life. The school won’t make it for you.

3 Likes

Considering my gpa, extracurriculars, and SAT A&M would have been my safety. That is why I came on here to ask ab app bc I wasn’t getting a decision. After that I have found out that the college cares about rank. I have talked to college counselors, teachers, and parents about this and they agree that A&M would be my safety. I consider safety as not necessarily “auto-admit” but rather those that have above 80% chance of getting in (including auto-admits). But thanks for the input.

1 Like

Not to mention I have taken rigorous courses and I come from a competitive school. The college will look at the school report.

It’s also flawed to say that it would be a reach. It would be a target by your definition.

You don’t know my definition. If you already knew the answer you wanted to hear, why did you ask the question? You asked for a chance. Everyone’s opinion is different and mine is that it is neither a reach or target looking at their data. Of course I can be wrong. None of us are AOs - but when 92% are in the top 25% and you take out athletes, etc. it’s really more and you’re not, that’s how I came to my conclusion, whether or not it’s right or wrong. If you’re truly at 27%, you’d be the exception getting in, not the rule.

I wish you luck wherever you end up.

But there’s no need to criticize those who give an answer you don’t like.

PS - you earlier said: My friends are of the same ethnicity and gender.

Per the CDS, A&M will not factor ethnicity into the decision. Not sure about gender as it’s not listed.

1 Like