Chance me Texas A&M

<p>very interesting indeed!</p>

<p>The new engineering admission criteria will begin with the Fall 2014 students.</p>

<p>So does that mean those students who are applying this fall to attend in fall 2014…assuming you mean this coming year’s seniors will still be under current criteria…
thanks for your great info! We should have started a new thread…</p>

<p>I guess a better way to phrase it is students who intend to enroll a the start of the Fall 2014 semester or those that are rising seniors at this very moment.</p>

<p>Great information AGP! Has TAMU officially released the total number of applications and offers yet? I’ve seen the “10,000 more” figure but nothing definitive.</p>

<p>I seen the number through one report that was given to me. However, I can’t find it right now. I do know that the number of confirm acceptances was over 10,000. I expect the actual confirmed numbers in the fall will be around 9700.</p>

<p>Just got back from NSC last night and the numbers they gave us were: Applications - 35,500 and Incoming Class acceptances - 10,200. It is the largest freshman class ever admitted. They also said that for the first time ever, the girls outnumber the boys, 51% to 49%.</p>

<p>So many students would make the campus seem smaller.</p>

<p>Oh wow, that’s crazy haha. Last year WE were the largest class ever admitted, and I think they told us they were going to make it harder to get in because of that. Guess that didn’t happen.</p>

<p>AvantGardePrep, what impact is the reduction is numbers likely to have on an OOS student who falls within the academic admit criteria? Overall, do you think the number of OOS students admitted is going to be reduced?</p>

<p>I don’t believe this new policy will affect the academic or top 10% admits, even those from out of state. </p>

<p>The students who are coming through the review process will be severely affected. Rigor of course work, leadership, and service will become ever more important. Also, their essays will definitely weigh into their decision a great deal more.</p>

<p>@Avant, it is already pretty tough to get into A&M, so if current trends continue how difficult might it be for both Freshmen and Transfers in 5-10 years?</p>

<p>Honestly it is hard to project that far into the future. I know TAMU has a big initiative to grow the size of the university to about 60-65k. This growth should be inline with the type of growth the state of Texas will experience. In theory, this should help the selectivity rate to remain proportional to what we will experience in the next 2-3 years. I suspect that admissions will rachet things up and be much more conservative with their decisions. </p>

<p>One thing that is difficult to project is the number of applications TAMU will receive. No one was anticipating anything like they saw this year, and they certainly did not expect to receive 38k applications, or for that many students to accept. I’m guessing the individuals in the upper administration will be tweaking their matriculation formula trying to iron out the issues they faced this year.</p>

<p>Honestly I think you have a good chance your SAT scores are quite better than mine and I got in, but your class rank might hurt you a bit. Just write good essays and have lots of extracurriculars and I think you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>You seem to know a lot About admission chances. Could you chance me? Competative high school in katy, tx. Graduate in 2015. Probably 11-13% with a 4.25-4.3 gpa. Almost all AP classes. NHS volunteer hours. Varsity sport 4 years. Applying to Mays. Will apply in august. SAT 530verbal. Math 610. Taking ACT soon. What are my chances?</p>

<p>Honestly if you have to work that hard in high school to get in A&M, it’s not worth it to me. It seems high school competition has grew too much. Honestly, your percentile is not great somehow, but your weighted gpa of 3.9 and the amount of hard work you seem to put in those classes is enough to get into a school like UT Austin, if you do outside school engineering work, like robotics or engineering club.</p>

<p>You can go to a a community college, get a 3.7-3.8 GPA and that’s guaranteed to get you into UT Austin or A&M.</p>

<p>@above, you have a good chance for any major in A&M. just make sure you apply fast. you have a very good chance at UT Austin too, if you wanted to know that.</p>

<p>I do plan on applying august 1st or whenever it opens. My SAT scores are not good. Especially verbal. I doubt I can pull them up to a 600 as needed for auto admit. Maybe ACT will be better. I doubt there is any way if will get into UT business school. I ink you need to be top 3% or something crazy to get in. But I have heard Mays is very competative so I’m worried that if I’m not auto admit I won’t get my major. And transferring to Mays isn’t easy. I hear you need like a 3.7-3.8 minimum. I wouldn’t be as worried if I wasn’t applying to Mays. I am not sure I want to get into A&M on the hope that I can transfer. Same with UT.</p>

<p>I think you can get into UT business school. I know people that got in with 4.2 weighted GPAs and 1600 combined SAT score (I believe its 3 parts, with 800 being max score of each part? 2400 total). Newsflash, you don’t need that strong of a SAT/ACT score to get into A&M/UT, unless it’s engineering at UT I believe which would be good to get maybe a 1800+, still not that big of a difference. I know someone who got in UT electrical engineering with 1900ish SAT with 4.3ish GPA. Not sure about A&M engineering.</p>

<p>Coincidentally, I am a resident of Katy as well. People I described above went to Morton Ranch and was in top 6% I believe and qualified for automatic entrance. </p>

<p>Are you sure you are 11-13% in your class? I think you may be more like 8-7ish,</p>

<p>Positive. I am at cinco ranch. Much different that morgan ranch. Our top 10% ended at about 4.3 for the last few years. Heirs is much lower…maybe even3.8. A guy I knew with a 4.33 and top 10 barely did not get into Ut and certainly not their business school. I hear tie top 3%. His sat was 1900. Not really aiming for mccombs. Mays is what I want but still doubt I will get in if not auto. Cinco is very tough but that doesn’t matter in taking auto admits</p>

<p>I wish RejectedUserName would let us know his status.</p>