Chance me to UIC

Hi,
I am an international student;

My SAT: 1440 (CR:390 M:660 R:390)
SAT Subject Tests: Math L2: 700, Physics:580)
TOEFL: 89
GPA: 68% (When converted to US system from my country’s system, it makes something between 2.5-3.0)

I have so many extracurricular activities that I couldn’t fit them on the space given by application system.

I made a research project with a good university in my country that I want to develop later when I start college.

I have an outstanding/extraordinary life story, which I believe I reflected pretty good on my personal statement.

What are my chances? (I want to major in Electrical Engineering)

The average accepted student to UIC engineering has an ACT of 28 and is in the 85th percentile of their class.

UIC is a public school and so acceptance comes down to grades. If you attach a recommendation, it will literally be thrown away. The same is true with SAT subject scores.

Personal statements generally only play a role for borderline students. You have a low chance for engineering. LAS is more forgiving. The average student has an ACT of 24 and is in about the 75th percentile. The issue is that low GPA and low reading scores. You have a low chance with LAS. If accepted, they will probably make you takes remedial English. You will have to take an in-person English test which includes an essay. If you don’t pass those courses, you will not be able to continue with your studies.

Can you tell me what LAS is? By the way, I have a good reason for my low GPA and I also am not that low compared to other people in my country. I am considered as a decent student with that GPA.

LAS is liberal arts and sciences. It is the largest college. If you keep a GPA of least 3.0, it’s fairly easy to change colleges.

UIC values GPA highly in terms of acceptance. UIC has very few international students for undergrad.