Chance me transfer fall '23

I’m most likely transferring from a NESCAC and am not sure where I should look. I have a merit scholarship at my NESCAC and don’t want to transfer to a school where I would have to pay full price - unless it’s public.

• Interested in Journalism and Government
  • I earned a 3.92 in my first semester/was involved with several clubs and am now taking classes at a university in the DMV area with an internship.

I’m currently looking at;

• UNC
  • UVA
  • URichmond

not sure where else to look. would appreciate imput!

If you like Richmond, add William and Mary

Why are you transferring-- start there. And what is your budget?

UNC and UVA give primarily need based aid. And I’m not sure how generous they are to transfer students. Are you a resident of NC, because if not, it’s a very very tough admit for OOS students.

Do you qualify for need based aid?

Many colleges give their best merit awards to encourage incoming freshmen to enroll. Not to transfer students.

How much can you pay per year…and what is your reason for transferring?

Nonetheless, the OP may find it encouraging that UNC reported an acceptance rate for transfer applicants of 47% on its most recent CDS.

Are you in-state for either UVA or UNC? If not, OOS is the guts of $70K a year and UNC is ~$60K- why would you be ok with paying that to a public university but not a private?

So, after scanning your old threads it seems that UVa (EA) and W&M (ED) turned you down last year. Your four favorites of your acceptances were BU (1st choice but not sure about the $), CWRU (unaffordable), Lehigh (merit $, affordable) & Conn College (merit $, affordable).

You have given very few clues about what you want from your new school- the three you list imply that you want to be VA or NC, but you have two big state unis and a smaller semi-urban private. Are you looking for a different campus culture- and if so, what sort? are you looking to ‘trade up’ to a better name? do you want to be geographically closer to a particular place?

Remember that as a 1st year transfer your HS profile will be considered will be considered.

And last, but actually first: what can you afford?

1 Like

I’m not sure why you would be applying again to UVA if you were rejected there last year.

Like most state flagships, a significant proportion of transfers come from that state’s community colleges (I can’t find UNC details). I also expect some of these transfers are recruited athletes. Suffice to say, UNC Chapel Hill is a reach for the vast majority of OOS transfers, same as OOS students applying right out of HS.

2 Likes