Choate Rosemary
Hotchkiss
St Paul’s
Groton
Peddie
Northfield Mount Hermon
Cambridge School of Weston

Background:
Stuyvesant High School freshman (top NYC public)
9th grader applying to 10th grade
Single Mother (100k-150k)
Asian Male

Grades (Average):
6th: 99
7th: 97
8th: 93
9th: 92 (MP1)

SSAT:
78 Percentile (2181)
Verbal: 61 (695)
Quantitative: 78 (761)
Reading: 88 (725)

Extracurriculars:
Community Service for 7 years at 3+ organizations: Silver Presidential Volunteer Service Award
Violin for 7 years; Viola for 3 years, Orchestra for 3 years
Newspaper: Chief Editor MS, Writer HS: interviewed famous journalists & politicians
Student Government: President of Community Service Youth Council (7 years), MS President (2 years), External Affairs Dept HS (1 year): fundraisers w Balenciaga/Dior, hosted events, currently hosting political panel for local NYC politicians (Senator Schumer, Mayor Adams, US Rep AOC & Meng, state senators/assemblymembers, city councilmembers)
Summer Internship: made a documentary film on affirmative action
Internship at Law Firm doing research, publishing, and client services/office work
Founder of a non-profit high school admissions advising service with 200 kids every year with a goal to change the way NYC Asian parents/students/families see high schools (not just Stuyvesant). Recognized by Enrollment Management Association (EMA) creator of SSAT

School Clubs: Policy Debate, Ethics & Politics (Ethics Bowl), Model UN, Spectrum (LGBTQ)
Sports: Volleyball, Canoeing, Track (Sprint) ALL RECREATIONAL

Applying through Community-Based Organizations

I think I have a good chance of getting into Peddie, NMH, and Cambridge. My extracurriculars are good but my SSAT score is ■■■■.

1 Like

My question is why apply to boarding school when you already go to Stuy. Theres going to be no difference in college acceptance when comparing Stuy and other top schools, and sometimes its more likely to get into a better college in Stuy since a lot of acceptances in top boardings are people with hooks (legacy, athletes, etc). And even comparing education wise (coming from a person who has friends in both Stuy and some schools you mentioned) theres almost no difference except maybe some programs that the boarding schools have exclusively because of funding.

1 Like

Maybe they want the experience. going to bs for college placement is bogus.

1 Like

OP, i think you have a very great chance to get into any of the schools you applied to. there are so many kids qualified so i really can’t predict, but regardless of where you go you will (and have done) great things. keep it up!

i got into many schools with the same ssat score. i dont think that will make a difference

2 Likes

I know but most people who do apply to BS, apply to them for college placement. And some people for the community, etc. I’m just saying if OP was applying to these schools for college placement Stuy has around the same if not better.

3 Likes

You can’t just assume they’re applying for college placement. Seeing as they are involved with EMA, they probably know it won’t help.

2 Likes

My bad, but the main question I had in the first post was why OP wanted to apply to BS since IMO thats one of the most important things.

I do agree with that. It just sounded like you assumed it was for college placement. Stuy is a great school, but with 3000+ kids, i could certainly see why someone wouldn’t want to go there. i know i wouldn’t be happy.

2 Likes

Stuyvesant really has no innovation. It sounds great but all these kids do is focus on grades and they don’t have any personality either. There are kids with absolutely no passion, complaining about their sleep, and I’ve seen upperclassmen vape in the open. It also takes an hour to get to school each way and I’d rather spend that time doing something I love at a BS. BS also has a lot more specialty programs and unique courses. Only 30% of Stuy goes to a top 20 school compared to 30% of schools like Andover going to the Ivy Leagues. I’m very extroverted and I’m always around people all the time (I go home at 9/10pm after work/clubs/hangout) so I’d rather do that at a BS. I just believe that BS will fuel my potential at an earlier age (more innovation) and cut travel time. I am ofc gonna miss my friends + the internship opportunities esp in Manhattan but I’m gonna work everything out.

3 Likes

Thank you! Noted. Also if ur wondering why I’m even applying to BS check my reply to @Visual1 comment. Also, I’m already an educational consultant and so I’m already working with these schools so I’d rather just be there.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that about Stuy. I’ve heard it got worse in the past few years but didn’t think it would be that bad. I think you’ll be fine and get into at least some of your top picks, but I can’t say for certain since I am not a AO.

Good luck!

That’s a pretty wide range of schools in terms of vibe. I’d try to focus on what tou really want as you are already enrolled in a school with excellent academics at an unbeatable price.

If you like CSW’s academic schedule, curriculum, and vibe, you should also look at George in PA I would say, though, that vibe-wise, CSW is a real outlier. There are others that are closer in feel to the rest of your list that might make sense (Hill, Kent, Millbrook, St. George).

You sound like a fascinating person with incredible drive. I’m rooting for you.

Have you considered boarding schools in Washington DC? Incredibly easy commute from NYC and a city rich with internships (and teaming with well-connected people) in virtually every field.

I think your profile will stand our more the further south you go. Also look at McCallie in Tennessee.

I’m not fact checking your percentages, but be aware that many/most of those Andover admissions are extremely hooked - legacy, faculty children, recruited athletes. Whatever you see as valid reasons to attend BS, the list should not include college matriculation.

4 Likes

I believe it’s more like 24%. Also as @skieurope says colleges accept students not schools!

I like CSW because of its progressiveness that’s why I also chose NMH

I was thinking of St Albans, but it’s an all boys school so im not interested. Tbh I want a school that has a higher percentage of kids going into Ivies.

I know I know :sob:. Of course I think BS is also great because of the opportunities you can get out of it. But also taking legacies into consideration, about 50% of the BS I’m applying to (30%-60% to be accurate) rely on financial. If about 75% are going to a top 20 school or at least a top school, it’s better than Stuy with 70% going to a state or community college.

Neither of those percentages is correct.

Regardless, my advice is you don’t give that as a reason, even when you have accurate numbers, in your application or interview.

2 Likes

Could you clarify this? You are an education consultant and you are in 9th grade?

1 Like