Chance Me! UC Edition

Hi! I’m currently a Junior at one of California’s highest rated schools. I’m a Filipino-American immigrant (I moved when I was 4) with a 4.14 c/w UC GPA and a 29 ACT composite score, and I’m in the IB Diploma program taking mostly HL courses. I was the Freshman Class President (1 year of being an officer, 3 years of being in ASB), founder of my school’s Filipino Culture Club (1 year, but 2 years so far in the club)), Key Club President (1 year, but 3 so far in KC)), Slam Poetry Club Treasurer (1 year), High School Democrats VP (1 year), I work a part time job at a cafe, and I’m on the district board for the California-Nevada-Hawaii District of Key Club Int., with which I serve 45,000 members over 3 states. I’m also in Model UN and I’ve won first place at a collegiate conference.

What are my chances of getting into Berkeley, UCLA, or Santa Barbara respectively if I major in political sciences??

Need to bump up your ACT score 32+ for UCLA and UCB for the best chances. As always, these are tough admits.
GPA and test scores are within range for UCSB. First Generation will help but ethnicity not considered. EC’s are good with leadership. Your personal insight essays need to be outstanding.

Freshman admit rates (2016) for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19:

UCB: 14%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 44%
UCSB: 54%
UCD: 58%
UCI: 65%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 94%
UCM: 96%

Make sure you have some solid Match and a few Safety schools on your list. Apply widely and Best of Luck.

The top UCs will take a compelling application and a little luck. You have a solid shot at UCSB, UCD and UCI (depending on major) and you are likely to be admitted into the others.

That said, apply broadly… Include a CSU or two. UCs can be fickle.

Berkeley will be hard. PoliSci is one of their legendary majors. You have a good shot at UCSB, but I would add UCSC to your list as well. They have a politically active, beautiful campus and lower average scores.