Chance me UCB/UCLA/UCSD/UCD

Junior here who’s also going through the nerve-wracking stress about getting into schools I like. My top choice is Berkeley L&S, but I’m looking into UCLA, Davis, and SD (my major is comp sci).

U/W GPA: 3.65
Weighted GPA: 4.28
UC GPA: 3.93
2100 on SAT since I didn’t study, retaking and should get around 2300
35 ACT

Grades:
Sophomore - Sem1/Sem2
Eng = A/A
Honors Chem = B/B-
Honors Precal = A-/B
APWH = B+/A-
PE = A/A
Spanish 2 = A/A

Junior - Sem1/Sem2
AP Com Sci = A/A
AP Chem = C/B
Spanish 3 = A/A
AP Calc BC = C/B
Journalism = A/A
Honors English = A-/A-

I took US History, Python, English Composition, and Psychology at CC over the summer (counts as weighted)
Senior Course Load: AP Physics, AP Gov, AP Stats, Photography, Journalism, and another AP

ECs: - Debate (4 years that has led to regional and national level success), team captain

• 100+ Hours coaching middle school debate (and some HS kids) that led to late elim rounds
  • Interned at a software engineering startup over the summer
  • I’ve been coding for 8+ years, made a couple of apps for people
  • 50+ other hours volunteering for a comm. serv. organization
  • News Editor for School Newspaper
  • Tech/Business News Analyst for an online newspaper (which is based in the east coast)

I guess I’m aiming for upwards trend after 1st semester of junior year, and will probably have to emphasize my ECs.
I also have about 100+ unreported hours at a youth group, will the schools still consider those?

You look like a competitive applicant for all the UC’s although UC GPA a bit low for UCLA/UCB so they might be a slight Reach. Great score for the ACT. Work on your essays this summer and Good Luck

Thank you, do you know if Berk or LA place any significant value on essays? For example, if my essays would make up for the dip in GPA?

The two Cs were because I missed my finals in those 2 classes for a family emergency, and got zeroes (teachers didn’t let me make up). Would that go in my essays or the special comments section on the Common App? Thanks again.

@throdisting: You need to use the UC application, not the Common Application when applying to the California UC’s. I would put that information in the additional comments section. In regards to your question about essays, UCB/UCLA and UCSB tend to be the more holisitic for UC’s admissions and your essays could definitely help or hurt your chances. Much will depend upon the how your essay is viewed by admissions. I believe my older son got into UCD with some very good essays, even though his test scores were mediocre. You just never know but definitely spend time on the essays this summer. Make sure you have several people read over your essays for any needed input and editing.

Are you in-state and can you afford the UC’s?

Yep

I’d say your in at all except LA and Berkeley since those are super reaches.