Chance Me: UPenn Wharton & Huntsman ED + Others (Already Applied EA/ED, Just Curious) [CA resident, 3.92 UW, 35 ACT]

Demographics

• US Citizen
  • Bay Area, California
  • Private high school
  • Asian (Indian) & female – not sure if this technically matters anymore

Intended Major(s) : Business Administration/Finance (different for the UCs)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.92
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.34 out of 5 (i think) – I went to two different high schools so I don’t know my cumulative GPA but this is for grades 10-11
  • College GPA (classes taken for college credit) : 4.00
  • Class Rank: not reported
  • ACT Score: 35 composite and 36 super-score

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes only)
9th Grade – English Honors
10th Grade – English Honors & Marketing
11th Grade - IB English SL, IB Spanish Ab Initio, IB Economics HL, AP Statistics (score: 5), AP Calculus AB (score: 5)
12th Grade - IB English SL, IB Spanish Ab Initio, IB Economics HL, AP Psychology (in progress), AP Calculus BC (in progress), AP CSP (in progress)

Self study - AP Microeconomics (score: 4), AP Macroeconomics (in progress)
College courses - Personal Financial Planning (community college), Business Mathematics (community college), Financial Accounting for Non Accountants (UCSD Extended Studies)

Awards

1. DECA International Career Development Conference Qualifier Business Finance; Placed 5th at States.

2. National Personal Finance Challenge State Finalist; Placed 3rd as team after high regionals score.

3. Gold award for trio performance, Toronto International Youth Dance Festival.

4. Branch Winner, Fleet Reserve Association - Americanism Essay on ‘What the American Flag Stands For’.

5. Plata - National Spanish Exam; Received Silver for Level 2, scoring between 85-94th percentiles.

Not Reported on Common App: AP Scholar, National Merit Commended Scholar

Extracurriculars

1. President (2022-2024) and Member (2020-2024), school’s DECA chapter
  2. Student Researcher, Spotlight Scholar, Cambridge Future Scholar Program
  3. Student, Economics for Leaders, University of Michigan (summer)
  4. Team Leader and Competitor, Wharton Global High School Investment Competition, Youth Program
  5. Summer Intern, a local small business
  6. Dancer, InSync Kathak Dance School
  7. CEO of Poplar, 21iQ Innovation Entrepreneurship Training
  8. Student, Georgetown’s Hoya Summer High School Sessions, Business and Leadership Academy
  9. Co-Founder, Books for Students (connect student suppliers and buyers)
  10. Public Forum Debater, Golden State Academy and the Quarry Lane School

Essays/LORs/Other
Counselor LOR: pretty good probably, she was my DECA advisor last year (8/10)
Teacher LOR #1: my IB Econ teacher, also pretty good, I TA for her and she is also my DECA chapter’s advisor (9/10)
Teacher LOR #2: AP Stats teacher, decent, don’t interact too much with him (6/10)
Teacher LOR #3 (used for Huntsman program): IB Spanish teacher, I talk a lot with her so I think it should be good (8/10)

Personal Statement (maybe like 7.5/10)
Supplemental Essays (8/10)

Huntsman Language – Hindi (heritage language)
Huntsman essay (8.5/10)

Cost Constraints / Budget
none (for safety/match schools, will greatly consider a UC over a out-of-state university)

Schools (all business schools, if applicable)

• Safety
    Michigan State
    UC Santa Cruz
    UC Riverside
  • Likely
    Penn State University Park
    Indiana University Bloomington
  • Match
    University of Wisconsin - Madison
    University of Rochester
    University of Florida
    UMD - College Park
    Northeastern University
    UIUC
    UC San Diego
    UC Davis
    UC Santa Barbara
    UC Irvine
  • Reach
    USC
    NYU (maybe ED2)
    UMich
    UNC - Chapel Hill
    CMU
    UVA
    University of Notre Dame
    Cornell
    MIT
    UPenn (ED to Huntsman, Wharton 2nd Choice)
    UC Berkeley
    UCLA

I’ve already applied to 14 schools (EA/ED) and gotten an acceptance from Michigan State but am curious about what y’all think regarding my other colleges. Should I keep my hopes up or prepare myself?

IU is a safety.

UIUC is a likely.

Northeastern is a reach.

The rest you have right - sans the UCs which I don’t know but your test won’t count.

Why is Mich State on your list ? Unless you are studying Supply Chain, it doesn’t fit.

Have you visited all these ?

Good luck.

Berkeley, Irvine and Riverside offer undergraduate business degrees.

Are you by any chance NMSF?

cool thank you! I applied to Michigan State’s Eli Broad School of Business. The school is actually pretty well ranked. I haven’t had a chance to visit all the campuses, given there’s so many, but I have visited a couple of my top schools including UPenn, NYU, CMU, and Berkeley.

Yup, thanks! Most of the other ones have Business Economics or Economics from what I understand.

Unfortunately, I’m not NMSF, I missed the cutoff by a couple points :grimacing:

1. Rankings - don’t mean much but I asked about Supply Chain, because it’s #1. If you are going to choose a school based on rank and to each his own - you have to look at the disciplines. That’s why Michigan State/Broad is on the map.

If you are looking for overall pedigree - IU Kelley is a safety for you. Anywhere else is gravy.

Of course you have to be somewhere four years, day after day.

Make sure you choose a school you feel ‘it’ at. A rank doesn’t bring you four years of happiness. 95% of kids will get similar jobs no matter where they go, a few majors/industries not withstanding.

Good luck.

What history courses did you take? Sciences each year?

I completely understand what you mean. Ranking is just one of the many ways I created my list, and doesn’t have a huge priority.

While their supply chain program is the best, I find their overall school a good place to be.

Given that, if I were to get into IU Kelley, I would easily pick it over Michigan State because its finance program is a lot better.

Thank you!

1 Like

World History – 10th Grade
US History – 11th Grade

Living Earth (Biology) – 9th Grade
Chemistry – 10th Grade
Physics – 11th Grade

Our school only offered higher-level courses for American History, which I didn’t particularly enjoy that much. As for science, I’m not much of a science person but I do wish I took AP Physics as it was a class that I enjoyed.

You took all the basics so that is good! Was an honors version of any of the regular courses you took?

Define better?

It’s ranked higher. That doesn’t mean it’s better - or better for you. A third party looking to sell advertising is ranking it.

That’s what I’m trying to explain. It’s what US News or whoever says is better. That doesn’t mean better in reality.

That you have a 30 ACT and 3.8 GPA, you are going to be direct admitted to IU. So it’s a safety for you.

So look at career outcomes:

MSU Broad Finance has a $68,600 average. IU is showing higher - and lists where they place. It “might” be better - but please do your due diligence before using words like “better”, as an example. I don’t know the size of MSU Broad but IU is huge - many many thousands huge - so please find the right school for you. Some schools are perceived better but they aren’t right for the student who is “rating” them…that’s all.

If you loved NYU or Penn environmentally, you might not like IU or MSU…but you might prefer a Pitt or UMN type, etc. So please find your comfort zone in addition to the high rank.

Best of luck.

Class-of-2022-UG-Results.pdf - Google Drive

Outcomes – KelleyConnect | Kelley School of Business (iu.edu)

There were honors options available for all of these courses (except US History and Physics, which have AP higher-level courses).

I do regret not taking them, but nothing I can do about it now. Trying to compensate with all the IBs/APs this year and last year :smiley:

2 Likes

I had used the term “better” to refer to the connections and network that Kelley students have both during their time at IU and post-graduation, as well as their job placements for graduates.

I do understand what you are saying about the environment and type of school and it’s definitely something I will keep in mind when picking a school to attend.

As for direct admission, according to one of the Kelley admissions officer, since I have two separate transcripts I don’t qualify for direct admission. Despite that, it still definitely is a safety for me.

I appreciate your help and insights. Thank you!

Interesting on two transcripts. Didn’t know that. Let us know how you end up. Best of luck. Congrats on the Broad admission.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.