Chance Me w/ New College List [CA resident, 4.0, 1570, Full Pay, business or economics]

Hello everyone, I did a chance-me a few months ago and after talking it over with my family, I created a new list. Please let me know if this list looks good, thanks!

Also, I have decided to apply to Business for some schools and Econ for some schools

Here’s the link to my original with all my stats and original schools

New and Improved :slight_smile: Schools
All schools without EA or ED in parenthesis are RD

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    UCM (Major not sure)
    UCR (Major not sure)

• Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
    Fordham (EA) (Business)
    UCSC (Major not sure)

• Match
    UCSD (Major not sure)
    UCI (Major not sure)
    UCD (Major not sure)
    UCSB (Major not sure)
    Northeastern (EA) (Business)
    UW (EA) (Major not sure)
    USC (EA) (Business)

• Reach
    UPenn (ED/RD) (Economics)
    Columbia (ED/RD) [Still can’t decide between Columbia and UPenn argh] (Financial Economics)
    Northwestern (Economics)
    Yale (Economics)
    Cornell (Business)
    Dartmouth (Business)
    Stanford (Economics)
    UCB (Business)
    UCLA (Major not sure)
    NYU Stern (RD now, not ED II like I initially indicated last post)
    UMich (EA) (Business)

If I have time~

• Reach
    MIT (EA) (Business)
    Harvard (Economics)
    Duke (Economics)
    Brown (Not sure)
    CMU (Business)
1 Like

That’s a lot of reaches…Be realistic about the amount of time you’ll have to write amazing supplemental essays. The good news is that the UCs are all covered by one app, so it is super easy to apply to as many as you want. But all the others, common app helps, but many do require supplements - some require several supplemental essays = and you want to make sure you are submitting your very best work. Don’t stretch yourself too thin there.

7 Likes

Northeastern will be a reach since you’re not applying ED1/2.

4 Likes

Depending upon which majors you are considering for UCI, UCSB and UCSD, they may be in the High Target/Low Reach to Reach Category especially UCI.
See the admit numbers below:

Business/Econ 2022 admit rates

Campus Business admin or Business Adj. major Economics
UC Berkeley 9.1% Intended Business Admin. Direct admit starting Fall 2024 no numbers 5.3%
UC Davis No admit by major but by College: 39.8% Managerial Econ No admit by major but by College: 37.9% for Economics
UC Irvine 8.8% 10.8%
UCLA No admit by major but by College: Business Economics 10% No admit by major but by College: Economics 10%
UC Merced Business Econ/Management 84% 78%
UC Riverside Pre Business Admin 67% 62%.
UC San Diego No admit by major extrapolated <30% Business Econ No admit by major extrapolated <25% Economics
UC Santa Barbara No admit by major but by College: 27.9% Economics/Accounting No admit by major but by College: 27.9% for Economics (pre)
UC Santa Cruz 39.3% for Business Managment 44.7%
2 Likes

Just confirming, northeastern and fordham dont have supplementals right?

I believe Fordham does, but it is quite short.

2 Likes

Is UW University of Washington? If so, EA is not an option. The application is due in November and decisions are in April.

1 Like

Sorry yeah I just meant an earlier application due date for that one, similar to the UCs, thanks for the clarification!

2 Likes

I’d probably move USC up to the reach category, and you do have a lot of reaches. But I think your likelies and safeties are just that, so if you’d be happy at any of those, I think your list is solid. Just make sure that you sufficiently research and take care in creating your essays as a thoughtful essay vs. one that’s been phoned in can be a definite differentiator at these schools.

4 Likes

Major selection will be critical for the UCs. For instance, UCB Haas admit rates from prior years will be misleading given that Fall 23 is the first year when freshmen will be directly admitted. I expect Haas to be much harder than Econ so perhaps in the 3%-4% range. At UCI, you should have a pretty good shot for Merage given you are from LA but I wouldn’t characterize UCI and UCSD as targets. They are reaches for everyone instate.

Is that why you are applying to NEU ? Not based on interest ?

Are you interested in your safeties or likelies or will they be a disappointment? Can’t speak to UCs but the test won’t help. USC is possible but in general sense a reach.

Any cost constraints ? Your stats can get you a lot of money at schools you may (or may not find) as solid.

What is your intended business sub major ?

Surprised given you have Michigan that you don’t have Indiana, a top school yet safety for you.

2 Likes

Yep, thank you! I just kinda wanted to shoot my shot at Haas and see what happens lol

No, I’m also interested in NEU, this is just an added bonus since I wont have to do as much work in writing supplementals given I have so many other reach schools as well. I’m quite satisfied with my safeties right now so I think those should be good. As of right now no cost constraints and I haven’t decided on a sub major yet, still doing a bit of research. I’ve considered Kelley for a while but decided not to just because I’m not a big fan of the location. Thanks for the help!

If u r good with the first four, you’re good to go.

Personally I’d pick major over school. That’s my issue here.

Econ is not business.

That’s the first decision you should make b4 having a list.

What do you want to major in ? So to me this is backward a bit.

Yes, I’m just choosing econ for some schools (mainly ivies) that don’t offer business

2 Likes

Mainly ivies but you have UCs that also don’t have.

If you want business then apply to Cornell as an example - with no test btw like the UCs. But sorry not Harvard or Northwestern although NU they has a minor.

I’d rather see you in the major you want at name your school - Arizona, UGA, Miami of Ohio than Ivy in a major you don’t want.

I disagree with your method but wish you luck. I think you get into the first four for sure. After that who knows but studying something that isn’t of interest is sort of wasting time. I’d hope you’d refine your list to meet your academic needs vs your prestige needs as you’ll be studying four years, day after day after day.

Best of luck

Well I’m also extremely passionate about econ, that’s why in my original post I was conflicted on which major to pick. I’m just not sure I can justify going out of state or potentially paying more for like Miami of Ohio rather than staying in Cali where I prefer the environment more. Also, I thought cornell was test optional, not test blind like UCs?

EDIT: Never mind haha you’re right I just saw

1 Like

Not for business. Test blind. See link.

If you like UCR (they have business), call it a day. You could always do the respected Carey at ASU or Eller at U of A - Eller for less than a UC with merit. Top shelf in MIS.

Edit - when I say call it a day - I mean take your shots but know it’s ok if this is it - that you’d be happy here (at UCR in bus).

Econ will be a ton of reading. Business less so. If u want Econ great but it sounds like you wanted the pre prof aspects of business.

https://admissions.cornell.edu/policies/standardized-testing-policy#:~:text=Cornell%20University%20Extends%20Test-Optional,SAT%20or%20ACT%20exam%20scores.

1 Like

Over 50% of kids change their majors so you want to go to a school whose reputation will offer optionality and a strong alumni network upon graduation and resources across multiple potential areas of interest while you are in attendance.

When you say business what are you hoping to wind up doing professionally?

3 Likes

I think I would be fine with UCR, I’ve visited the campus before and I liked it as well as having a few old family friends and school friends there that I’d be happy to see. For Cornell, I’m looking into it now and maybe Cornell Dyson sounds like a better fit than Johnson. What are your thoughts?

1 Like