Chance me?

<p>Gender: F
Ethnicity: African American
School Type: Public (But the most selective + competitive in the state--all honors and APs)
G.PA: 4.7 W/3.67 UW
ACT Score: 34
SAT: Not taken yet.
AP Courses: 8 completed at graduation (Will have four at the end of junior yr.)
AP scores: Two fours and two fives.</p>

<p>ECs: I have been consistently involved with four clubs. On three, I have leadership positions. PM me for more information.</p>

<p>Volunteering: 150+</p>

<p>Awards: Honor Roll, Several Awards for Writing (1 on a nat't level)</p>

<p>I've also taken a couple college courses, and have a 4.0 G.P.A there.</p>

<p>I know I've been very brief, if you need more information please pm. I would appreciate the chancing as well as suggestions for schools. I am currently a junior.</p>

<p>Schools:
Rice University
University of Virgina
Amherst U
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
U of Michigan
Dartmouth
Cornell
University of Virgina
Yale University
Harvard University
UPENN-Wharton
University of Chicago</p>

<p>Not Harvard or Yale. Probably would get into UNC.</p>

<p>Other than your ECs which may appear to be a little lacking. Didn’t see anything too interesting. But your ACT score must be one of the top 300 AAs so I think you have a decent shot just about anywhere with good essays. Maybe a higher GPA UW… I think it’s important to note that nobody has a “good” chance at the top tier HYPSM. Good luck.</p>

<p>@Aayaa1
My ACT score would be within the top quartile for most of the schools I am applying to. Even Harvard ranges for 31-34. My ECs are no where near lacking, I decided not to post them all because I wanted protect my privacy, I was primarily concerned about my GPA.</p>

<p>@aayaa1
Aren’t you a junior also?</p>

<p>I am indeed. It reads as if your ECs are 4 clubs and volunteering which don’t stand out from anyone else really…</p>

<p>I also realized that when i was editing my post before I posted it, I made it seem like your profile was not interesting. That’s not what I meant, lol. I meant ECs didn’t look interesting.</p>

<p>Emmele, don’t get so defensive - - especially after you have asked others to “chance” you.</p>

<p>You are in the running for all of the schools on your list, but since they are all very competitive (some more so than others), I hope you have at least a couple of safeties - - including a financial safety.</p>

<p>@nyc
I’m open to suggestions. Do you know of any colleges that may be a good fit?</p>

<p>i would have to disagree with joeblogsfail, your chances of Harvard and Yale are still good, with the average AA ACT score being a 18 or 19 i think? and you having a 34 makes you stand out. EC’s are important, but i think as long as your essays are good and you have decent EC’s, you’ll be fine. Im only being honest when i say that you being an African American will work in your favor when applying to any HYPSM schools with your ACT score. BUT…COME TO RICE!! its awesome! lol</p>

<p>Emmele, there’s not enough info in you post for anyone to suggest a school that would be a good social fit. As for a financial safety, that’s often a student’s state U (low in-state tuition) or another school with a low enough sticker price that you can afford tuition with little/no finaid, or w/o needing to compete for a merit scholarship.</p>

<p>@xuladude, who told you that the “average AA ACT score” is 18 or 19?</p>

<p>A 34 ACT is good, but HYPMS will also be looking for grades, AP scores (if available), SAT II scores, etc. A good score on one test won’t get you in. You still have time to beef up your resume.</p>

<p>@dignified1 its not too hard to find, ACT has press releases of scores from past years… and its actually 17…not 18. i was guessing when i said 18 or 19, unfortunately i was being too optimistic. </p>

<p>and i would have to say that your GPA could use improving, but there isnt much you can do considering that youll probably be applying with the GPA you have now to colleges…depending on when you start your apps.</p>

<p>Yes, OP’s u/w gpa is a bit weak; but the schools on her list routinely reject applicants with perfect numbers (SAT/ACT/gpa) - - so, as I said in post #8, she’s definitely in the running.</p>

<p>@nyc
I wasn’t asking for schools that would be a good “social fit”. I was asking for schools based on my stats, and I am familiar w/the term financial safety by the way. Though about 85% of the students at my school get accepted to our state’s top uni, and I know I should be aiming higher. And honestly…I don’t know… definitively… why you think I should be so focused on a financial safety, but honestly costs are secondary to my family. We have the funds and will to pay for for the college I want to go to. </p>

<p>And again @xula and aayaa1, having a 34 ACT would put me in the 75th percentile for all schools I am applying to. An ACT score of 34 is higher than the average score for most people, not just blacks. Though this score does not guarantee that I will get into every school that I apply to. </p>

<p>@xula Do you go Rice? I’m very interested in this school, could you give me some more info?</p>

<p>Look, OP, you will get your reality check in spring. Being black ain’t gonna cut it.</p>

<p>If money is not an issue, and you have no specific social preferences, I think you should consider Duke.</p>

<p>^^ What is that supposed to mean?</p>

<p>It’s supposed to mean I think she can probably get into Duke, but maybe with no financial or merit aid. She said she is not looking for a social fit, so it probably doesn’t matter, but if she has some preferences it might. </p>

<p>Sheesh! </p>

<p>My D goes to Duke…</p>

<p>Lol. I wasn’t referring to you, Shrinkrap; I was referring to TrueLove’s comment</p>