Chance Me!

<p>Hi I am from a public school in New Jersey and am applying early action to UWmadison. Could you please tell me my chances for getting into the school?</p>

<p>SATS: 1970. Math-720 Reading- 600 Writing-650</p>

<p>GPA: 4.1... not sure about unweighted yet </p>

<p>AP: US History (got a 4 on the exam), Psych, Biology... all other classes are honors</p>

<p>ECs: Science Research and interned at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Class President junior and senior year, varsity volleyball and softball, volleyball captain junior and senior year, first team all-league player, yearbook, hebrew club, key club, science league, Peer Mediation</p>

<p>Volunteer: 260 hours of volunteer work</p>

<p>Wrote a good essay and am going to apply fairly early.</p>

<p>Thank you!!!!</p>

<p>The trouble with a weighted GPA is that there are so many different weighting systems that it is difficult to know what it means. If you go to a school that weights AP classes with 2 extra grade points, as some do, a 4.1 weighted GPA can come from about a 3.2 unweighted GPA.</p>

<p>Roughly speaking, if your A’s outnumber your B’s (count every C as two B’s) by 5-to-1 or more–about one B a semester–you have a 3.83 unweighted GPA or better, 4-to-1 a 3.8, 3-to-1 a 3.75, 2-to-1 a 3.67, and 1-to-1 a 3.5. It would, of course, be qualitatively better if those ratios were also maintained or improved in your AP and honors classes.</p>

<p>Your test scores are fairly strong but it really is difficult to estimate your chances without a more details of your transcript.</p>

<p>Write good essays you have a very good chance of getting in. My son has similar numbers last year.</p>

<p>Justwaiting1, Did your son get accepted to UW? And if he did, did they offer him any scholarship money?</p>

<p>Almost zero chance at scholarship money from UW-Madison, especially for nonresidents.</p>

<p>Yes my son was accepted this last year and received no scholarship money from UW-Madison.</p>