Chance Me

<p>Unweighted GPA - 3.79
Weighted GPA - 3.875
ACT 29 Writing 10
AP Gov, AP Stats, AP Micro/Macro, AP Physics, AP Calc AB, APCalcBC,Accelerated Math Program
AP Scores 3,4,4
Varsity Football
DECA
Student Council
Volunteer Youth Basketball Coach
Southwest Basketball
Various volunteer experiences
Work as a referee</p>

<p>I would say you’re pretty much in. Are you recruited?</p>

<p>Not so fast. I’d say more 50-50 range. Scores and grades are average for last year. ECs are typical. OOS full-pay might help a bit.</p>

<p>maybe grades, but act too?</p>

<p>Write good essays your chances are high.</p>

<p>The entering class this Fall had a 25/75 ACT range of 27/31 with a 29 average. Average UW GPA is in the 3.7 range. UW does not superscore. It’s a match but not a safety.</p>

<p>Wow. Didn’t see those new stats</p>

<p>Totally disagree with 50/50. Simply look at the likelihood chart that UW-Madison had on their site until year or so ago. A 29 ACT with a 3.8-4.0 GPA is associated with a 90% likelihood. A 29 ACT with a 3.6-3.7 GPA is associated with a 80% likelihood. I don’t think a chart from a year or so ago is going to fundamentally change from 80-90% range to 50-50.</p>

<p>I think Barrons is closer to reality, unfortunately. We’ve been watching acceptances for awhile now, and there’s a reason that the ‘grid’ was taken off the UW-Madison website. This place has supplanted Michigan as the hot public of the Big Ten. But whether it’s 80% or 50%, the OP had better have alternatives. That 20% chance can come up to bite you.</p>

<p>^^ Agreed. I looked at Naviance for my D’s school (and obviously this is just for one school, which happens to be a competitive OOS public), and for a 3.7-3.8 GPA and a 29 ACT, there’s at least as much red as there is green on the scattergram. 50/50 sounds about right.</p>

<p>They dropped the chances chart from the UW admissions website- perhaps because the old data no longer is valid. It really doesn’t matter if chances are 50% or 80%, the implication is to have other schools more likely to take you as well, but it is worth your while to apply. Better for students to not be overconfident.</p>

<p>I do know that they also look heavily at your strength of schedule and not just GPA and test score. I have had a rigorous schedule which hopefully may bump me up a little as compared to someone with a higher GPA but less rigorous schedule.</p>

<p>You may be surprised at the number of applicants with as many AP courses and better scores on AP tests along with the test scores and grades. Most Wisconsin residents who choose to apply to UW will know they need to take the most rigorous courses available to them and will be advised to do so by their HS guidance counselors. Their course rigor could be less than yours but UW won’t hold that against them if their HS doesn’t offer as much. Of course there will students who apply with hope, not expectations, of getting admitted as well.</p>

<p>You, and everyone else, need to write essays that show you want to attend UW. Recently an OOS student posted on this forum how he was rejected with good stats- he stated his essays did not show strong interest and thought that may have been the reason.</p>

<p>Go ahead and apply. Never let this forum dictate your actions.</p>