Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

I am in East Bay Area.

2 Likes

Really happy for you and your son as I’ve also been following your journey. My friend’s son is doing so well at CalPoly in CS. We’re across the bay from you. And there’s a bus that takes kids back and forth so your son can visit often. It’s like Google bus with wifi.

3 Likes

Only issue so far is lack of any financial award. They added EFC and student loans to make it whole.

UC Davis financial award shows we getting Middle Class Scholaship which is missing from SLO. Someone mentioned that SLO numbers will be updated after all decisions are out(end of month).

2 Likes

Remember it’s all about net price. Cal Poly’s list price is less, so they’re less likely to give the same aid.

1 Like

cal poly is almost as expensive as UC’s.
i guess they are most expensive cal state.

middle class scholarship - how do you get that?
thanks

Last time I checked, Cal Poly was 2k less than SDSU (COA) and 7k less than any of the UCs. It’s an exceptional value honestly.

1 Like

I was wondering that too. Is it income and assets below a certain amount? And would home equity count against middle income?

1 Like
4 Likes

Home Equity and Retirement accout assets dont seem to count(I have 401K & IRAs).

1 Like

This seems like a state wide scholarship so I think CalPoly will offer that to you.

cost of tution alone in cal poly is 12.5k

The total COA is about $6,000/year less.

Each Quarter COA is: 11174

Fall Quarter 2023

Category Description Amount
Books, Supplies, Materials 363.00
Fees -Fall 4,068.00
Food 2,248.00
Housing 3,492.00
Loan Fees 24.00
Miscellaneous 616.00
Transportation 363.00
Term Total 11,174.00

1 Like

if you know the same info for davis , would you please post to compare .
thanks

ok,
davis adds another $2841 yearly for heallh insurance,
so basically according my calculation difference comes about to be 3k annually between the two.
i might have missed something
thanks

You can typically waive out of UC health insurance by showing that the student has coverage through the parent. After ACA, adults can be on their parent’s policy until 26.

2 Likes

$38,353.00

Estimated Costs for [On-Campus Student ]

Tuition & Fees $16,018.00
Books & Supplies $1,381.00
Housing & Food $18,562.00
Personal Expenses $1,561.00
Transportation $681.00
Other $150.00

$13654 per Quarter at UC Davis($2480 more than SLO)

1 Like

Middle class scholarship amounts are estimates and are awarded in August.

We have Kaiser. We were able to use that and waive out of student health insurance at most of the schools. At SLO and UCSB, we would have had to pay for student health insurance because there were no Kaiser facilities.

1 Like