Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

Thank you, will pass on this message.

One question I have generally is: What is good between CS and CS(Engineering). I will encourage him to do a BS.

Kid wants to be an Engineer only. I am more interested to know about the depth of the courses.

His choice but is he not interested because it is rigorous or because he isn’t interested in life sciences? If it is the later, why is he choosing physio?

He’s not interested in Life Sciences(STEM focused).

He completed Living Earth and will take Physiology Honors this year(12th)

In general a BA in Computer Science is for students who are interested in computer science more broadly may consider pursuing a bachelor of arts degree that would include the core major requirements for CS and a liberal arts degree. A BA will still prepare for a rigorous research career, and you will be just as competitive when applying to graduate school as someone with a BS.

A BS usually has more Math/Science courses incorporated into their curriculum. Students pursuing a BS will complete additional coursework in CS, advanced mathematics such as theory of computation or logic in computer science. They may also take additional courses in physics such as mechanics, magnetics, and electrical science. You can think of a BS as going in more depth in the study of comp sci, especially on the quantitative side.

If he is interested in Engineering, then Computer Engineering might be a better option than Computer Science.

A computer engineer fuses electrical engineering and computer science to develop new technology. Computer engineers design, build, and maintain hardware in modern computers.
These engineers focus on integrating hardware and software in a unified system safely and efficiently. Along with personal devices, computer engineers have a hand in creating robotics, networks, and other computer-based systems. This role tends to include a high amount of research and development, testing, and quality assurance. Computer engineering might appeal to problem-solvers and technology enthusiasts.

1 Like

Check if the total(A-G) courses is 24. For example if one of the courses was PE (which is not A-G), then the total courses would be 22 instead of 24. Then the capped gpa will go up and you will meet the SJSU impaction index for CS.

Quick note about the test - if you’re only applying to UCs/CSUs - they are test blind so they won’t see the 1420.

Stanford yes - but you’d be test optional - not just with that score but even a much higher. Their 25/75 for the school was 1470/1560. I can’t see what % submitted but I’d assume it’s fairly high
so it’s a huge huge reach - but that’s ok. But just know that he’s retaking the test - for one and only one school.

If money is an issue, U of Arizona gives you another alternative - wonderful program, gorgeous campus, fantastic honors dorm - and you’d get $35K off - so tuition $3k or so if the same merit awards apply in a year. They also won’t look at the test in awarding the merit.

Good luck.

Types of Aid: Incoming First-Year and Transfer Tuition Scholarship Awards | Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid (arizona.edu)

24 semesters is correct a-g courses. He always had Zero period for his Music and we didn’t add this or PE/Weight Lift classes.

He was not interested to go OOS but I convinced him by showing ASU Barrett college videos on YouTube :-). Looks like they reduced money for the OOS scholarships by a lot but good to know UA still gives them.

I am asking him to apply to few OOS colleges like Uni of Pittsburg, South Carolina College and Uni of Alabama for automatic merit (will add UA to this list). He will apply to these for safety/Honors college admissions.

This will give peace of mind that he has few acceptances in hand when he starts applying to UCs.

1 Like

Congratulations on your son’s accomplishments thus far.

I would say that CalTech is probably not a realistic nor desirable option given the level of math he will have seen (only Calc AB) at the end of 12th grade. Applying test optional is certainly possible but his current SAT math score would indicate that he would probably not be happy at CalTech.

CalTech is pretty up-front that most applicants have completed BC and in many cases well beyond. Here: https://www.admissions.caltech.edu/apply/first-year-freshman-applicants/academic-preparation. The application is also fairly time-consuming so he may be better off focusing his energies elsewhere. In any event, good luck!

2 Likes

Pitt and Alabama will be quickest to respond so if you just want a safety, you just need one. Pitt will cost more and is urban whereas Bama will be dirt cheap and is - in a small, not very nice town, but the campus is nice. I mentioned Arizona due to it’s low cost (whereas ASU was never as low), the gorgeous Honors dorm and you only listed CA schools - so assumed he wants to be a California student. But Arizona is almost California :slight_smile:

Bama does require an SAT - but he’s already done it and his is good enough for Pitt.

If you don’t see Stanford as realistic - not saying not to apply - but he might want to focus on essays, etc. vs. test prep - because for the bulk of your applications the test isn’t needed or is strong enough. And he can go TO to Stanford.

Good luck.

Engineering-based CS majors typically have more math and non-CS science requirements than non-engineering-based CS majors. But there is enough variation that a careful look at the actual degree requirements for each CS major at each college is necessary to determine if there is a meaningful difference.

Thank you for your honest feedback. He might drop out once he checks out the effort involved.

Music is considered an a-g course (f category – visual or performing arts).

I agree AZ is almost CA except its more hot. He had MIT as his goal when he was young and now settled for Stanford/CalTech. I would let him apply so he knows he tried for a reach.

He’s going to apply TO to all schools unless SAT is needed. He will crack 1500+ in his next attempt as he made few mistakes in his math.

1 Like

Thank you, that will add 4 semesters.

New GPA would be:

Unweighted GPA: 4.00
Weighted GPA: 4.50
Weighted and Capped GPA: 4.29

2 Likes

It is a weird side-effect that doing more (A-G) courses drops your weighted and capped GPA and makes it harder to meet the threshold at SJSU and possibly SLO.

Nevertheless you are still competitive at other UCs and private colleges.

Do you know what is generally considered for GPA, Weighted or Weighted and Capped?

1 Like

Not TO to all schools. Check each school’s range. Pitt and Bama - yes submit.

UC and CSU are test blind so they’ll never be seen. For students only applying to them, no reason to test.

Stanford / MIT - yes TO.

Good luck to your student

The UC’s consider all 3 UC GPA’s: Unweighted, Capped Weighted and Fully Weighted.

CSU’s only consider the Capped weighted CSU GPA or in Cal Poly’s case the SLO Capped weighted GPA.

Both UC’s and CSU’s will consider the # of a-g courses taken above the minimum along with the # of Honors/AP/IB and DE courses based on the HS’s offerings.

1 Like

MIT is not test optional anymore

2 Likes